POCKETEARTH

Update

Home All Topics General Update

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mosshuub
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Hi, I like to start the navigation with a imported Ggpx-track. Is it already possible to navigatie with an imported gpx-file? You announced in april 2013 already an update:

“The GPX file format is designed to store GPS Tracks and not routes with driving instructions. If you export a Route from PocketEarth or from a website, it will loose the routing info, and be treated as GPS Track when imported. This is a limitation of the format itself. Our next update will include the option to export an individual route in our “PocketEarth Archive” format which will allow correct importation.”

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

The update we had announced was implemented, but this was only to provide a way to export a Route and re-import it as a Route again without it being converted to a Track (by using Pocket Earth Archive format rather than GPX).

We have had a few requests for the feature you are asking and are considering the best way to implement it. GPX format is designed to contain Tracks but not Routes and as such does not contain turn-by-turn navigation info. The best option is probably to take the waypoints contained in the GPX and perform an online route request with them to produce a Route in PocketEarth which can then be used offline.

I will let you know when this feature can be implemented as soon as we assess and schedule it.

Kritou
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 96

Great stuff!! That will be a boon to those who are sent routes in .gpx format from Garmin Mapsource and Basecamp. At the moment these are automatically presented on importation to PE as tracks. ( how come these two Windows programs can create routes in so called .gpx format?)

I recall that you have done this on an ad hoc basis in the past – such an in app facility will be very welcome

deecypher
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

+1 on this

I do believe that GPX files can contain waypoints, routes, & tracks. This is evident by RouteConverter imports and the following article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Exchange_Format

Even if the app extracted waypoints and recalculated a route based on those, it would be worth something. Right now, importing a GPX only shows the track with no way to navigate.

Keep up the solid work!!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Its true that GPX format defines a route type, but it is not a navigable route with navigation instructions. Really it is just like the track type but requires that it consist only of continuous segments. So it doesn’t really help much as it still only contains the path geometry and not the instructions.

We would like to add the feature to lookup a route dynamically based on the GPX info (track/route/waypoints in GPX file). It would be very useful for us to have some sample GPX files which our users want to import as routes. If you have any examples, please upload them here or email them to us!

deecypher
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

@GeoMagik: Thank you for your quick and concise response.

I’m currently in Thailand planning a motorcycle trip. I’m attaching a zipped GPX file I’ve exported from Garmin Base Camp using OSM generic route table map. I believe it’s a GPX 1.1 and it looks good when opened in RouteConverter, where it shows it contains a track, waypoints, and a route. Have a look and see how you go.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.