POCKETEARTH

Additional languages for Wikipedia?

Home All Topics Feature Requests Additional languages for Wikipedia?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    nounours
    • Topics: 66
    • Replies: 260

Hello,

Is there a particular reason for the restriction in languages for Wikipedia-entries to english, german, french, spanish? The interface must be the same for every language, no?

If possibile, it would be great having additional languages. I will soon make a trip to Italy, so I’m mainly interested in Italien for now, but I’m convinced there will soon somebody come with Suhaeli …. (If possible, I would suggest a two level language menu – main languages and other … on the first level, and if you click “Other…” then all avaible Wikipedia-Langugages will be offered.)

Thanks, Gilbert

P.S.: Very much enjoying the new data. All my edits are here now. Great!!!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

There are some technical difficulties in offering more languages, basically each language has 1 to 5 different ways to encode the article locations and we have to specially build parsers for each of them.  Our next app update, however, will include wikipedia in all 7 languages that our app currently supports (English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Czech, Russian).  We can probably add Italian as well, but the update probably won’t be ready until the beginning of October.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.