POCKETEARTH

Address and Coordinate Search disappeared

Home All Topics Bugs Address and Coordinate Search disappeared

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    GeVaSta
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 15

Hi,
    As the title already says, the Address and Coordinate Search is missing. When I select the settings (button with 3 lines), I only see Favourits, Nearby and Recent but no Address or Coordinate.
    has there something changed or is it a bug?
    I am using Pro 2.5

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

We haven’t removed any functionality in this update, but we did consolidate all the search options into the main search bar at the top of the main menu. You can now perform address and coordinate searches from there.

For example, you can enter an address like “123 main st”, and the first item in the results list will be to perform an online address search. If the map data for the current city is downloaded already, it will also show offline results for the street itself (but not the specific house number along it yet).

You can also enter coordinates and the second result will show a match if one is possible. In this update we have even added support for additional coordinate formats. To use the DMS/DM.mm coordinate entry wheels, tap the coordinates symbol on the right side of the search bar at the top of the main menu.

GeVaSta
    Participant

Okay, thanks.
    Not a good idea for me. The problem is now I can’t use it anymore because when searching globally, the app crashes immediately at entering the first letter. I have made remarks about this before. This is because of the number of pins I have.

I could live with not to be able to search pins but now almost all my search options are gone! Not nice!

Can’t you leave the address search separate? Or at least a search options where the pins are not searched?

Was it not very convenient to choose beforehand what to search and don’t bother about results in databases I am not interested in?

Can you please change it back or at least fix the search crash?

GeVaSta
    Participant

An intermediate solution could be to not search not visible pins. Then I can switch of the pin-groups with lots of items in it.

Afterall who is interested in search results from pins not visible?

GeoMagik
    Admin

A number of our users were confused by the way we had it before, forcing the user to choose a type of search before starting to enter text. And our designer was also strongly advocating this change already. This is why we simplified and consolidated the options into a single search bar.

But we will fix the crash and other issues regarding the large number of pins in our next update (we are now testing support for up to 100,000 pins depending on capabilities of device model).

Perhaps as a workaround for address search, can you tap the search bar to activate it then without entering any text, tap the first item which says Online Search. This will take you to the full address form to enter an address. Maybe if you do like this it won’t crash..

GeVaSta
    Participant

I sincerely hope you can find a solution soonest. The workaround works for OnLine searches (adresses f.i.) but not to find a city in the Built-In database (when I am offline) and that is what I use the search mostly for. Is an extra “city” or “adress” button next to the ‘Search All’ bar an option like now the search for coordinates?

Sure solving the crashing issue is probably the best solution of course.

What do you think of not searching the hidden pins? Isn’t that a good idea?

If you need a large test-database (18MB csv-file) I can send mine. Only attaching is not possible because of the 2Mb limit. Please give an address I can send it to.

BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 298

Has this been addressed? Immediate crash for me, iPad 2, iOS 7.1.

GeVaSta
    Participant

Sorry but not resolved. Crashing when searching still happens. When you type the first letter the app crashes immediately.

It would be very nice if handling large numbers off pins could be fixed.

I checked it on IOS 8.3 on iPad 2 and iPhone 6.

Regards,

Geert

GeoMagik
    Admin

We actually just submitted PE 2.6 update to Apple yesterday, it should be available later this week. I am not 100% sure if it will resolve this issue but it does correct a number of other app issues surrounding large number of pins/favorites. For example saving and batch deleting of pins/favorites is now 100 times faster! It will also correct the few to many seconds, periodic freezes some users had reported in the app with large number of pins.

Hopefully it will help this search issue as well, please let us know! But we did discover another very complex issue that can cause crashing in search for a tiny percentage of users. We hope to fix that in another update, but it will be very time consuming for us to fix so we could not include it now in this 2.6 update.

BuckyE

OK, looking forward to torture testing the next release! I do still have a “large number of Pins” in my current PE Pro. No idea if my Large # of Pins has caused/influenced my crash while trying to use the Universal Search. Will report back soon!

GeoMagik
    Admin

@BuckyE:

Can you test the latest beta (v2.6.2b1) and see if the crashing issue is resolved for you?

@GeVaSta:

The crash will be corrected in our next update, in roughly 1 week.

BuckyE

I am currently recreating my PE Pro in PE beta v2.6.2b1. I successfully Imported my latest archive but it’s taking forever to get Map Data. Will have to do that during my ISP’s Extra Time late nights. When that is done, I’ll test!

(There really, really, should be a way to export/save Maps the way we can POIs/PINs/Tracks/etc. ! But that’s another Request!)

BuckyE

Sorry to have been so long at this. Have been trying to get my old map data re-downloaded into the Beta but it just took too long.

However, with all my Favorites imported (20,000-some) I can now use the Search All function in the Beta (2.6.2, latest iteration.) That’s marvelous!

GeVaSta
    Participant

For me the search-function is now working fine. The latest release fixed it.
    I am a even more happy user now!
    Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

UPDATE: ADDRESS SEARCH CRASHING ON ME

Wondering if this is still an issue with anyone else out there.
    Go to search field and when I go to click on it it exists the app and goes back to my home screen.

HELP!

Love the app otherwise and recommend it to others all of the time.

GeoMagik
    Admin

@eakins:

Did you get the latest in-app data update also? If not, perhaps this will help. Could you first check though which data version your Pocket Earth is using: tap Settings button > About > swipe down along right edge of the about screen using 2 fingers to uncover a hidden screen and see what it says for Manifest Version.

Also, you are talking about the search field at the top of the main menu right? And is it crashing just when you first tap on the search field to activate it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay:
    1. I went to Settings within Pocket Earth.
    2. Then I went to About.
    3. No hidden screen was available when swiping.
    However the screen that opened states : “Pocket Earth Pro 2.7

The crash occurs after:
    1. I go to the “three bar” menu tab,
    2. Then as soon as I put my finger to the “Search everything” search bar at the top.. it exits (minimizes) the app.

GeoMagik
    Admin

@eakins:

OK, can you try doing the in-app data update? It may be crashing because of a compatibility issue with older map data.

The hidden screen should be accessible in all versions of app, but it is tricky to open (was meant for internal use only): 2 fingers, swipe down, along right edge (last 1 centimeter of screen.) of About screen.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ahah… two fingers above each other works!
    Manifest 459
    Git Branch release – 2.7
    Build Date Mon June 8 2015

I’ll try the in app update. Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

FIXED_NO CRASH!
    The update within the APP fixed it!
    Thank you! Honestly… great Customer Service and APP.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.