POCKETEARTH

Alternative to mapquest route engine?

Home All Topics Feature Requests Alternative to mapquest route engine?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Stefan Oskamp
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

The mapquest route engine sometimes generates wrong routes like a route for a car via a footpath. It seems as if they use outdated map data, but on the other hand such errors are based on very old data while at the same time the route does seem to reflect more recent changes in the same area. Routes on osm.org, in contrast, are correct. So, it is definitely not a tagging issue in the map data.

I’ve sent a question to mapquest support about this, but I wouldn’t expect them to fix these issues as there too many of them.

Is there a chance that Pocket Earth will ever use a better route engine, maybe even a built-in one, or allow users to configure the route engine?

Thanks for all the good work on Pocket Earth.

Stefan

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Hi,

We have definitely noticed the same thing. MQ seems to be using extremely old OSM data. We have already replaced them with another service and it will be released in PE 3.8, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Stefan Oskamp
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks for the update.

Today, MQ support came back to me with the following: “Because we receive limited international map data from our partner, TomTom, we only support the US and Canada at the moment. However, we’re hoping to expand soon!”

Looking forward to PE 3.8 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.