POCKETEARTH

Co-ordinates request

Home All Topics Feature Requests Co-ordinates request

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kritou
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 96

In a career of commercial aviating and sailing for leisure I have found the DM system to be the most commonplace. However it has always been in the format N48 12.5667 E16 22.1667
    Would it be possible to add this to the existing options below?

DM (DEGREE-MINUTE)
    Examples:

48d12.5667′N 16d22.1667″E
    48:12.5667N 16:22.1667E

This is the first time I have ever come across the above two (and the first appears to be part DMS!)

XOMTOR
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 118

I came across a similar issue on Saturday while attending a Geocaching event. All coordinates used for the sport are given in the format you mentioned:

N48 12.5667
    E16 22.1667

I was stumped for a bit until I resorted to the text entry option and put the coordinates in using this format:

48:12.5667n
    16:22.1667e

Regardless it would be nice to have an input wheel for this coordinate system.

Kritou

Have to agree that an input wheel would be good – would also cut down on input errors

How’ about it GeoMagik?

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

PE already has an input wheel for DMS and DM.mm formats. Just go to Search > Coordinates and tap the top right button to cycle through the input modes.

For textual entry, you have to rewrite it in one of the two DM formats shown in Help Manual (those mentioned by @Kritou).
    Though we will look into adding support for this format directly.

Kritou

Excellent ……. another of PE’s (well) hidden gems!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

We have added support for this format and support for pasting google maps links into the text search. It will be available soon in Pocket Earth 2.5 update.

Gerberding
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

I’m still confused about using the coordinate system that Geocaching uses within this app. I tried to manually enter coordinates for the second stage of a cache using the search function, but discovered that the system only allows two decimal spots. IE, for the coordinates N 38° 50.554 W 121° 17.003 , I was only allowed to type in 38° 50.55 N 121° 17.00 W. This seems strange and not very accurate.

In addition, it would be great if we could choose to have this same coordinate system permanently displayed on the map, instead of the other system which appears to be default and not changeable.

Lastly, it might be nice to allow us the ability to simply drop a pin where we are and then manually edit the coordinates (with the Geocaching style coordinate system) as you can edit the name of the pin.

Am I missing something already in the program? Thanks!

kal
    Participant

PocketEarth allows more than two decimal places for coordinate inputs. I entered both examples you gave and they worked. What exactly did you try to enter?

The coordinate display is changeable. Look under Settings > More Settings > Coordinates.

Gerberding
    Participant

Thanks for the info on the coordinate selection in preferences. That’s a big help.

I was trying to enter my coordinates in the search field. If you go to three line button in the bottom left of the map, it brings up a screen with a search field at the top. If you touch the grid diagram in the upper right it brings up a “wheel” input screen that only has two decimal places with “DMS” coordinates. At the bottom of the screen the coordinates appear to have four decimal places, but I can’t figure out how to adjust the last two.

Thanks again! Great app… now if I can figure it out!

kal
    Participant

You only get two decimal places if you use the wheels. If you need more, you can just type the coordinates directly into the search field.

Gerberding
    Participant

Check. I’m not crazy or unusually stupid. Thanks. Sometimes you just need to figure out how and where to input.

I still wouldn’t mind being able to edit the coordinates in a pin directly, as I’m used to doing that with a Garmin GPS, but this isn’t any harder once you know where to look and how to do it.

Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.