POCKETEARTH

Color coding the GPS on/off button

Home All Topics Feature Requests Color coding the GPS on/off button

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jsgblom
    • Topics: 88
    • Replies: 250

When using PE in bright sun light and switching on GPS the dimming of the GPS button is not noticeable. When it takes a bit longer to calculate a GPS position I tend to press it again because I’m not sure I pressed the button properly (thus switching it off!).

It would be helpful to use a more distinctive color (maybe yellow, consistent with the recalculation of a route for instance).

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Okay, so you propose making the gray “establishing GPS connection” button Yellow for example and the blue “GPS activated” state green?

jsgblom

The blue color for “GPS activated” is fine by me, since it is consistent with the other buttons (Tracking and Orientation).

Sometimes it takes a bit longer for GPS to be activated (when in the mountains or woods, when there is no A-GPS signal nearby), and when switching on while riding a bike a more distinctive colour for “establishing GPS connection” would be helpful.
    jsgblom

Maybe flashing blue/gray?

BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 299

The OSM maps are incredibly complex. Many if not most of the PE icons are a bit too subtle (beautiful, yes! but a bit subtle) to really stand out against the “background” map and be immediately legible.

So, in this case, how about switching to a simple gray background with a white question mark while “establishing GPS connection”? Make it pop!

jsgblom

I don’t think it has to pop out. Just distinguisable that it is establishing GPS connection so you don’t press it again by mistake, thus switching it off again. On = blue is distinctive, so is another color or a blinking blue/gray

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Okay, thanks for the feedback!

I think I can release the next beta by Monday. This beta will include a new Sidebar Menus UI and a flat UI appearance (like iOS 7 will have).  This means all buttons have changed. For now we are trying orange for the enabling button. It seemed to work better than yellow and some other colors we tried. 
    Anyway, you can give your feedback on the new style once you get this beta.
    jsgblom

Received the beta (as you might have noticed already…)

The orange color works like a charm. Perfect!

I also like the green color for start route and the red color for tracking, following the general convention. Now they are distinguishable by both color and icon. Nice job.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.