POCKETEARTH

Colours of track/routes/cycle layer

Home All Topics Feature Requests Colours of track/routes/cycle layer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jsgblom
    • Topics: 88
    • Replies: 250

I know I mentioned it somewhere else, but I couldn’t find this issue anymore and would like to bring it to the attention again.

1. The blue color of a track is almost the same as the regional routes of the bicycle layer.
    2. The red color of a selected segment/track is the same as a national route of the bicycle layer.
    3. The greenish color of an active track segment is hard to see.
    4. The blue color of an inactive route segment is the same as the bicycle layer

I would like to propose to make the colors of bicycle layer a little more transparant and a touch lighter (eg: html deepskyblue and deeppink instead of blue and red). The transparency helps to distinguish the type of road underneath (highway, primary, secondary, path).<br />
    And why not make the active segment of a calculated route red, the same as a selected track segment?

I think this is an importent issue, since now you have to switch off the bicycle layer to be able to distinguish a track. Try to distinguish a track from the bicycle layer in the Netherlands or Belgium. (Open the attached GPX file to see what I mean.)
    I also noticed that some people switch off the bicycle layer and forget about it’s existence completely or, when they haven’t discovered the map layer options yet, even switch the Map Style to the OpenStreetMap to get rid of the bicycle layer.

BTW: The dutch translation of Hiking is currently ‘Trektocht’ (noun). A ‘Trektocht’ is a general name for a long trip, by any means of transport. A better translation would be ‘Wandelen’, which is consistent with ‘Cycling’ = ‘Fietsen’ (both verbs).

jsgblom

GPX file attachment didn’t work. Maybe a zip file?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jsgblom

@geomagik: did you notice this post, since you didn’t change the dutch translation of Hiking = Wandelen ≠ Trektocht.

Also, during my last cycling trip in Montenegro adn Croatia I noticed again that the cycle layer is a bit to thick. The underlying road type is really hard to distinguish, especially at zoom level 12 & 13. For example go to the island hvar (magikmap://l/43.14647/16.83140/11/) and switch on the bicycle layer.

I would like to add that the Cycleway, Footway, Bridleway and the Track are often very hard to see, especially when they go through forest for example. A slightly thicker line and a slightly wider white background could maybe do the trick?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.