POCKETEARTH

Construct a rhumb line track?

Home All Topics General Construct a rhumb line track?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 298

I know this is going to be a truly trivial request, but perhaps some kind soul will help an amateur?!

I would like to make a Track that is what I think is called a rhumb line: a Track whose bearing on the compass is constant all along. I’ve got 2 locations, one in the Alps and one on the Spanish coast. I want to make a constant bearing line between them. So will PE do that? Or are lines between points geodesic/Great Circles?

And at that rate, I’m also just realizing I don’t know of any way to draw a line between points in PE! Wowser!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

The Waypoint feature will show you a direct geodesic line to your selected destination. This is the shortest path possible and it is not a rhumb line. Rhumb lines tend to be somewhat longer (typically 1% to 30% longer), but can be convenient because they have a fixed compass heading (can be useful for sailors/pilots).

We will consider adding support for rhumb lines in a future update.
    BuckyE

Thank you! After reading your post, I found a work-around, because I definitely want a rhumb line. (It’s a long story.)

I used Google Maps to make a two-point Line and added a Pin for each endpoint (3 objects total); exported the map to KML; used a free online converter to convert my KML to GPX, imported to PE. I’ve got a rhumb line track, with identified/named endpoints, and am happy as a clam.

Worked a charm! So if I’m the only user who ever requested a rhumb line Track, please ignore adding such to PE. Not worth it for so few requests!

Thanks for your explanation, it was the hint I needed.

BuckyE

Unless, of course, PE imported my Waypoints/Pins/endpoints and constructed its own geodesic “path.” That I have no way of evaluating!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

The lines between points of an imported track are effectively rhumb lines.

BuckyE

Excellent! My workaround worked. Now I know what to do.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.