POCKETEARTH

Data lost

Home All Topics General Data lost

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kapomuk
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Last summer I used PE to plan our trip to Norway and I don’t know how I would have managed this trip without PE. I created hundreds of POIs and routes for camping sites, hiking trails etc. and organized them in about 30 folders.

After the trip I didn’t use PE very much until now when I wanted to plan our next summer holiday – and: All my data have disappeared!

Of course there updates in the meantime …

Can I get my data back?

Please help me – I’m lost …

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Normally there should be no case that your favorites data can disappear. We specifically test for backwards compatibility and support all previous versions in the last 2 years. After the 2.0 update we did have to require an in app data update for the maps, but this didn’t affect the favorites data.

Perhaps you have both the free and paid versions of our app installed and opened the wrong one? (we renamed the paid version to PRO and the free version is simply called Pocket Earth now)

You can try tap the Settings button, and tap Import to see if there are any backup files around still and if so try to import the latest one.

Last option, you can try to use the 3rd party desktop software called iFunBox to check in the actual app folder to see if the data is there and if so, you can email it to us and we can try to recover it. If you want to try this let me know and I will send some instructions how to do.

NSquirrel
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 53

…Perhaps you have both the free and paid versions of our app installed and opened the wrong one? (we renamed the paid version to PRO and the free version is simply called Pocket Earth now)…

Where does this difference appear? I upgraded a month or so back, once the price error had been corrected, but my copy still says ‘Project Earth 2.5’ in the about box and the home page icon still says ‘simply Project Earth’

Nick

NSquirrel

Obviously Pocket Earth, rather than Project Earth in the above oost!

kapomuk
    Participant

Thank you, GeoMagik, for your very quick and detailed answer.

I tried all your suggestions besides the last one – for which I need some advice …

Best wishes, Peter

kapomuk
    Participant

So pleeeeease give me the instructions as promised! Thank you! 🙂

GeoMagik
    Admin

@NSquirrel:

We have 2 separate apps. A paid app called “Pocket Earth Pro”, and a free app called “Pocket Earth”. For convenience, our free app also allows a quick in-app purchase called “PRO Upgrade” which unlocks all functionality, making it functionally equivalent to “Pocket Earth Pro”. However, Apple considers this as two separate products. Doing the in-app upgrade unlocks all Pro features, but it is unable to change its own app icon, etc. We should probably have a text on the About screen to indicate the upgraded status. If you install the free app on another device and have already purchases the “PRO Upgrade” you can unlock it on the new device by going to Settings > Restore Purchases.

GeoMagik
    Admin

@kapomuk:

1. Download and install the third party software iFunBox (free) on your laptop/desktop.
    2. Connect your iPhone/iPad to your computer using the USB cable.
    3. Open the iFunBox software and select your device.
    4. Choose User Applications and double click on Pocket Earth in the
      list.
    5. Choose the folder Library
    6. Choose the folder Private Documents
    7. You will see two folders called UDB and Data. UDB contains all of your favorites (including pins/routes/groups/etc). Data contains the map data.
    8. Select the UDB folder (just highlight, don’t double click) and Choose the “Copy to Mac/PC” option from the toolbar.
    9. After it has finished coping the folder, verify that folder is on your computer.
    10. Compress the folder as a ZIP, etc if you know how to do this, and email it to us at: info at geomagik.com

We can’t promise anything of course, but would be happy to take a look and see if we can recover it! Let me know if you have any problems.

BTW, do you recall what was the last version of Pocket Earth that you still had your favorites intact?

NSquirrel

GeoMagik:
    Thanks for reply above -and my apologies if I hijacked Kapomuk’s thread, but it raised a query. After discussion with Apple, they have refunded the upgrade and I have bought the Pro version so that now I am sure of where I am starting from. (Quite handy with maps 🙂 ) Existing routes exported and now imported to Pro and a happy Pocket Earth user.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.