POCKETEARTH

Does downloading a country take into account sections that have already been downloaded?

Home All Topics General Does downloading a country take into account sections that have already been downloaded?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    PEUser
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Hi there,

Purchased PocketEarth and loving it so far however I’m a bit confused by the download process. I downloaded a bunch of regions from Germany piece by piece and thought I’d download the rest of the country however no matter how much of the country I’ve already downloaded if I try to download the rest of the country by selecting and “starring” Germany it always says “~1527MB” left.

Is this just a general message and the actual total will take into account all the stuff I’ve already downloaded when the download starts or will the country download replace all the regions I’ve already downloaded?

Thanks.

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799
    Short Answer:

This is a general message, and PocketEarth will not download the same data twice.

Long Answer:

PocketEarth is smart enough to *never* download the same data twice. In particular, if you download cities or regions and then download the containing region or country it will not download the data that it already has. Similarly neighboring regions or countries which share some common data near the border will not download that common data twice.
    The situation with the place download dialog and the size reported in it is more complicated:
    • For Regions and Countries, the size reported is the actual size the place will take on your device, but some of that data may be re-used by other places. Also, some of the reported data size may have been already downloaded, thus the actual download size may be much smaller.
    • For Cities, the size reported is only an estimate of the download size, and the actual download size may be more or less, but usually the difference is less than 1 MB. 
    We plan on improving this situation with the reported size in a coming update, as well as offering more control over what data is downloaded.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.