POCKETEARTH

Download maps near track, several at once

Home All Topics General Download maps near track, several at once

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Hi, Really like Pocket Earth and especially not having to download whole country maps.
    I created all my planned tracks for the Summer on GPSies.com and uploaded them to Pocket Earth – worked very well.
    Now I wanted to save all relevant maps near the tracks and when bringing up one of the tracks in Favorites there is a button for saving maps, but it doesn’t seem to save any actual maps near the tracks. When I overlay one of the tracks on the OSM maps and klicka nearby I get message that this part is not saved for offline use etc. and I can click and download all maps around the track one by one. This is quite a LOT of work to make sure not to miss any adjoining areas and bound to possible failure.

So, is there a way to automatically download all OSM maps along a track for offline use? That would be the biggest thing I am missing for sure … .

(The app tends to crash now and then on iPhone 6 latest OS (not so much lately perhaps, but in April it used to do so), but it is easy to select the favorites and show them again … . Even got use of the added information by PocketEarth on the maps … .) /Jerry

Anonymous
    Inactive

Downloading regions is of course an alternative and I started doing that for most of the areas. One would really have wanted to see on a map which maps have been downloaded and not … guess this should go into “suggestions/wishes” unless I am failing to find functionality along these lines … .

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

You can still download the maps directly along a route/track. Just go to the Info Screen for that track by tapping on it in Favorites, or by tapping on its info panel when it has been opened on map already. There you will find at end of the Overview section a Maps item, tapping the download button to the right of it will download the relevant maps.

You can also visualize the download area by enabling the Show Place Download Area option in Settings > More Settings menu. Once enabled, tapping view on any Country/Region/City will highlight the download area in yellow.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, thanks for the second tip! I noticed after reading the manual that areas get yellow when clicking them (at least sometimes) and shows if they have been downloaded or not – however, I also notice that downloading such a yellow area doesn’t mean that I have downloaded all maps for the yellow area as when I click at different regions inside the yellow area some are still marked as not downloaded, so it is helpful, but potentially misleading … .

Also, as to the first tip – that was what I thought too and it said it had downloaded maps when I clicked them at the bottom of the favorite track, but no maps had been downloaded at all for what I could see later ………… ?!?

/Jerry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.