POCKETEARTH

Feature request: Option for larger pre-rendered area

Home All Topics Feature Requests Feature request: Option for larger pre-rendered area

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    erik912
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

First of all, thanks for the fantastic app! I use it very often!

Because most of the times I zoom and move the map in approximately the same area back and forth (e.g. one small part of a city where I reside), would it be possible to integrate an option to background calculate a larger ‘out of screen’ pre-rendered area and a pre-render for different zoom levels for that area? When I zoom out on one area and successively zoom in on that same area, it has to re-render everything. Or when I move to another nearby part it has to render that part. While it already could have been pre-rendered on the background while I was looking to the map. This would greatly increase the perceived speed of the app. Especially in the Netherlands, where some parts take up to 5 seconds of rendering times on my 4S.

Probably continuously pre-rendering in the background of tiles will decrease battery life, but for me an option to do so would be most welcome! (But I do not know if it is in any way technically possible).

Furthermore, I miss the soft fade-in tile option from the previous version… (but maybe I am the only one missing that option).

Keep up the good work!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Pre-rendering is not really practical because it uses substantially more memory.  We are working to improve the rendering times (especially over Netherlands, which is probably the slowest loading views).

You should see some improvement to performance as well as a greatly reduced chance of crashing with the next maps update which will be available in the next few days.
    erik912
    Participant

Thanks & looking forward to the update!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

The latest up2date maps update was published yesterday and you can get by going to Settings > Manage Data > Check for Updates.   Still more work to be done, but this update reduces total app memory usage by up to 34%, reduces chance of crashing and improves the rendering performance.  Expect more improvements in the following weeks.

erik912
    Participant

I just downloaded the maps update, and it is noticeably quicker for the Netherlands! Many thanks, also for your response on the forum, it is much appreciated (and I am looking forward to all coming improvements)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.