POCKETEARTH

Features List for 1.5?

Home All Topics Feature Requests Features List for 1.5?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    lauralox
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

GeoMagik, first of all, thank you, thank you, thank you for such an amazing product!! I was wondering if you were ready/able to release the new features list for version 1.5. I’m excited to see what good things you have in store for us 🙂

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799
    Glad you like our app! Its not finalized yet, but here is our tentative feature set for PocketEarth v1.5:
    • Make groups/lists of your pins, tracks, and other favorites!
    • Drag and drop reordering of items in your groups and the main favorites lists! 
    • Backup/Restore/Transfer all of your pins, tracks, and other favorites using the new PocketEarth Archive file format!
    • New “Shortest Driving Route” mode makes it easier to create scenic routes!
    • Option to see highway exit numbers, metro names, and building names on the map!
    • New Hiking map layer for outdoor enthusiasts!
    • Improved Cycle maps, now offered as a Map Layer setting!
    • New setting to increase the map text size!
    • More than 20 new kinds of POI on the map! New additions just for travelers!
    • Onscreen zoom controls for easier one hand use!
    • GPS indicator now shows the direction you are facing for better orientation!
    • Option to prevent screen dimming!
    • Share map locations by SMS for offline situations!
    • New “Route To”, “Route From”, “Track To” actions menu! 
    • Drag and drop reorder of Track Waypoints from the Detail screen’s Edit mode!
    • Destination detail screen lets you save notes on you favorite destinations!
    • Support for nautical miles!
    • Minor bug-fixes and enhancements!
    lauralox
    Participant

Wow… just, WOW!! Seriously, thank you for all of your hard work. I have tried a lot of map apps, and nothing comes close to what you offer. It is a rare company that actually listens to customer feedback and follows through. I will continue to tell everyone I know about your excellent product 🙂

Otto
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

Hopefully you will include bulk delete of groups…  

Any idea of how soon you might deploy 1.5?  The reason I ask is that I’m giving a presentation at a meeting on March 22, and I’ll be using PocketEarth as a demo.  (I’ve put together a FileMaker database which exports kml files, and now PocketEarth formatted csv files.)  If there’s a chance that 1.5 will be out there by then, I might wait to put together the final slides…
    Cheers!
    Otto —
    Leifre
    Participant

Moved to “Suggested Improvements” post.

BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 298

Holding breath, trembling, yearning…

Let us know if we can speed things up by making a monetary contribution; and if so, how.

GeoMagik
    Admin

Sorry for the delay everyone!  PocketEarth v1.5 feature set is now finalized, and we are now doing the final QA testing, translation, and graphics for this update. The update should be available in about 2 more weeks!

Favorites:
      • Make groups/lists of your pins, tracks, and other favorites.
      • Drag and drop reordering of items in your groups and the main favorites lists.
      • New ‘All Favorites’ view, separated routes and tracks views, and a new drop down menu to choose between them.
    Import/Export:
      • Backup/Restore/Transfer all of your pins, tracks, and other favorites using the new PocketEarth Archive file format.
      • “Open In…” support for all Exports allowing you to open GPX directly into other apps, save exports to Dropbox via the Dropbox App, etc.
      • GPX Import imports data into a new Group if the Single Track option is off.
    Map Content:
      • More than 20 new kinds of POIs. New additions just for travelers.
      • New Hiking map layer for outdoor enthusiasts.
      • Cycle maps are now offered as a Map Layer setting.
      • Options to see highway exit numbers, metro names, and building names on the map.
      • New setting to increase the map text size.
    GPS & Routing:
      • GPS indicator now shows the direction you are facing for better orientation.
      • GPS indicator now shows lower on the screen in situations where you want to see more of “whats ahead”.
      • New “Shortest Driving Route” mode makes it easier to create scenic routes.
      • New “Route To”, “Route From”, and “Track with Waypoint To” actions menu. 
      • Drag and drop reorder of Track Waypoints from the Detail screen’s Edit mode.
    Easier to Use:
      • New simplified Pin/POI Info Panel. Tap anywhere on the panel to view the Details.
      • On-screen zoom controls for easier one hand use. Can be configured to left or right side.
      • New options to prevent screen dimming.
      • Nearby Search just got a lot more convenient with sub-categories.
      • Star and download maps for places directly from the Destination Search screen.
      • New Destination detail screen lets you access the travel guides and keep notes on your favorite destinations.
    And More:
      • Share map locations by SMS for offline situations.
      • Support for nautical miles.
      • Switched our travel guides to the Wikivoyage.org project.
      • Russian language support for app text, help manual, map labels (where available), and Cyrillic transliteration.
      • Longer processes now show a busy activity indicator.
      • Brand new app icon, splash screen, updated website graphics and Help Manual.
      • Upside-down device orientation now works again on iPhone.
      • Minor bug-fixes & enhancements.
    nice_charly
    Participant

That all sounds very good! I am very curious about this new version!

ragnakore
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 38

New “Route To”, “Route From”, and “Track with Waypoint To” actions menu.

I hope this is offline!

ragnakore

There should be a feature also, wherein, user has the option to create a new waypoint or highlight an existing waypoint and then “Navigate” to said waypoint. All the app will do is create a straight line from current position to the designated waypoint; this will allow the user to know the general direction to go to.

This is important for no road navigation either offroad, water, or air. This implies, it is offline.

Likewise, the ability to navigate through a set of waypoints (similar to Garmin’s handheld). User would create a string of waypoints, and then navigate through these waypoints. There will be an option to either start navigating from the start of the sequence, or from the nearest waypoint from current location.

Ozgeo
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 52

Great News Abe and top marks for the feature set of ver. 1.5. I agree with Lauralux, it’s so good to have a developer who not only listens but acts.

GeoMagik
    Admin

Ragnakore,

The current version of PocketEarth has something like this already, though you must start a GPS Track Recording session to access it. PocketEarth v1.5 will allow more direct access to it by selecting a Pin or POI, and choosing the “Track to Here” option from the routing menu. This will display a straight [geodesic] line from current location to the waypoint along with distance and azimuth. Multiple waypoints may be added, however the user must manually choose between them. In v1.5 at least, you will not have start a recording session to use this functionality, however the info will still be shown in the Track info panel as it is in the current version.  After v1.5, we plan to work on this functionality more to present waypoint navigation in a simpler and more focused manner (and to automatically switch between waypoints, waypoint alerts, etc).
    Thanks Ozgeo, Lauralux, BuckyE, and everyone else for your comments and great feedback!
    ragnakore

Add POI/Waypoint Proximity Alarm.

By default all POI/waypoints have No Distance Proximity Alarm. User can change this setting globally per type or per individual POI/Waypoint.

ie,
    Globally, user can specify a single setting for All POI/Waypoint; or
    User can specify the Proximity Alarm for a specific type, say Gas Stations to have 50 meters Proximity Alarm; Restaurants to have 100 meters proximity Alarm; Sunken structure to have 200 meters proximity alarm; or
    User can specify Proximity Alarm to an individual POI/Waypoint – 20 meters proximity alarm for Uncle Tom’s House…

GeoMagik
    Admin

We have posted a visual sneak peak of some of the great new features in PocketEarth v1.5 on our Facebook page. We have also now submitted this update to Apple. Should be available for download by end of next week!

GeoMagik
    Admin

PocketEarth v1.5 has been approved, and is now available for download/update!

Note that an in-app data update is not required, but is highly recommended! This is needed to get the latest OSM map data, wikipedia articles, travel guides, and for some of the new features to function properly.

Otto
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

Any chance you could adjust your input filter to permit .mer files?  Filemaker puts these out, and they are simply .csv files with column headers on the first line.  (I know that I could doctor the .mer file after output by changing the extension, or I can add the first line to a .csv file. Having wasted a lot of time trying to get a script to do this, I thought I’d ask you guys… I’d like to be able to go from the output screen in Filemaker Go, and use “Open in…” and get Pocket Earth to show up.)

GeoMagik
    Admin

@Otto:  sure, we’ll include it in our next update 🙂

mfloreen
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 12

Just wanted to say how much I like the new additions! It’s so great to have an developer who is working hard to keep improving their app. Keep up the good work!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.