POCKETEARTH

GPS

Home All Topics General GPS

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jnavgar
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Everything looks perfect, but I have two problems
    1-when I push the button Geolocate I get the following Error: unable to detect present location
    2-Find nearby: when i push any of the categories it throws me out.
    I am using the Spanish language version. I tried with diferent settings online, ofline..
    I use Iphone 4. GPS works perfectly with other aplications.

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Sorry for our very slow response, we have been very busy finishing up a major update to PocketEarth which should be available for download any day now.  We believe this update will address the second issue you mentioned! 

And about Geolocate not working, please see if this helps:

The first time you try to use the GPS from PocketEarth (or any non-Apple app), it will ask you if you want to allow it to access your location. If you choose no, then PocketEarth wont be able to detect your location.  You can re-enable GPS for PocketEarth in the main iPhone Settings app.  On iOS 6 this is in Settings > Privacy > Location Services. On iOS 5 and earlier it is in Settings > Location Services.  Scroll down the list to find PocketEarth, and then switch it ON to enable it to use the GPS again.
    Tedd
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

Geolocate does not work for me either (iPad 2 with iOS 5.1 – WIFI). However, current location works fine on the ipad Maps app.

As well, on my iPhone 4 w/ ios5.1) the current location “blue dot” disappears shortly after I leave wifi range and doesn’t reappear until I return to wifi. So, off-line GPS doesn’t work at all.

Are these iOS issues?

Thanks….. Tedd

Tedd
    Participant
    • Replies: 2

Update: iPad geolocation is working! I checked your solution above, and that was the problem….. Thanks.

I haven’t had a chance to pursue the iPhone gps issue. Tedd

noahv
    Participant
    • Replies: 1

+1 on the Geolocation challenges on iPhone 4. With WiFi enabled, Geolocation is great. With no wifi, only location services enabled (I checked in Settings) Geolocation button goes light grey when pressed, but does not reveal blue location dot. Happens outside with clear line of sight, as well as inside. Thoughts?

GeoMagik
    Admin

noahv,

There are no GPS related issues that we are aware of in the latest version of PocketEarth (v1.3).  The grey button in PocketEarth indicates that it has not yet established your location.  Note that the iPhone uses AGPS technology meaning that the GPS is Assisted by the WiFi and/or Cellular signal to more quickly identify your location. If both WiFi and Cellular are disabled or unavailable, it generally take 30-40 seconds to get an initial GPS location fix, and in worse cases up to 2 minutes. This is a limitation of the hardware and PocketEarth should be behaving in the same manner as other map and GPS apps in this regard. In some cases, it is unable to get a location fix at all, but these should be relatively rare and usually due to a block in the line of sight to the GPS satellites. Let us know if you experience suggests otherwise and we will investigate for potential bugs in our app. Thanks!
    Jimon330
    Participant
    • Replies: 1

Does an external GPS conneçted via Bluetooth on an iPad WiFi only (retina) work?
    I have a DUAL XGPS150 connected and the dedicated app shows me an accurate position, Pocket Earth does not. The button remains indefinitely grey.
    On ground, no problem when WiFi or/and 3G available. During a flight, no.
    Any help would be appreciate

GeoMagik
    Admin

In general, any external GPS unit that is compatible with the iPhone/iPad should work well with PocketEarth and other mapping and GPS apps. A couple of our users have verified that the Dual XGPS150 device specifically does work well with PocketEarth, so I am not sure exactly what the problem is here.

A grey GPS button in PocketEarth indicates that the GPS signal has been lost or was never acquired. Please make sure PocketEarth is authorized to use GPS Location data in the main Settings app > Privacy > Location Services > Find PocketEarth in the list and switch it ON.  If it is already on, then I’d recommend you force close PocketEarth and reboot your iPad. Let me know if you need info about how to do this.

A few other notes about GPS:
    • Airplane mode prevents the GPS from functioning at all. See this post for more information.
    • WiFi/3G is not needed for the GPS to function. However, be sure to download the maps you need in advance.
    • Many consumer grade GPS units do not function at very high altitudes. 
    Let me know if this info helps, or if you have additional details that might help us to resolve this issue.
    Myfiveacres
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

I am having the same issue Tedd was having, but none of the solutions work for me.

Geolocate does not work for me either (iPad mini with iOS 6.1.3 WIFI).

The current location “blue dot” disappears shortly after I leave wifi range and doesn’t follow me along my route. As soon as I am on wifi again it reappears.

Thanks.

GeoMagik
    Admin

Hi Myfiveacres,

The WiFi only models of iPad (as well as the iPod Touch) do not have GPS hardware built-in and is thus unable to locate you when not on WiFi. This is because the GPS hardware is normally built onto the 3G/4G chipset which these devices lack.  One option is to use a compatible, external GPS device, such as the Dual XGPS150.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.