POCKETEARTH

Hiw do I import a gpx file into PE?

Home All Topics General Hiw do I import a gpx file into PE?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    reck
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 6

Hello, I’d like to import a gpx file from another app into PE.  How do I do this? I’ve found the import option in settings but it just says “no files found” with no other options. 

BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 298

I use iTunes. If I open iTunes, and go to the Apps tab/button, I see a section down at the bottom that lists the apps that can accept files. I click on Pocket Earth in the list of apps that can accept files, and then either drag a file to its list, or use the Add button to browse to a file.

When my iPad is USB cabled to my computer, iTunes, pushes the file to PE, and it then appears in a list of importable files in PE.

Maybe there’s a better way, but that’s how I do it!

reck
    Participant

Hello Bucky. I’ll give iTunes a go.

It’s a shame there’s no way to do this in-app. I hardly ever connect up my iOS devices to the computer nowadays as there seems little need. If this is the only way to get gpx files into PE though i’ll give it a shot.

Many thanks.

BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 298

Dear reck,

I’m just a PE user; there may well be a better method! Perhaps someone else will chime in with advice.

Having worked with computers since about 1989, I’m kind of old fashioned. I connect my iPad in order to back it up all the time! I don’t trust these machines!

So along those lines, I’d recommend using the Settings menu to save your PINs&Favorites to an iTunes or a GPX file (both accessed through iTunes) every so often. Can’t hurt and may come in handy. Data can get corrupt, and PE being one of the few apps we use in which we actually manipulate data, it very occasionally does happen. Handy to be able to replace with a clean backup if that happens.

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

You can also use the “Open In..” functionality of any other app that supports it. For example, you can tap on a GPX attachment in the Mail app and chose to Open In.. Pocket Earth.  Also from the Dropbox app and many others.

This is Apple’s standard way to send files between apps. Pocket Earth fully supports this.  Other apps may not in which case you can try to request that they add the “Open In…” feature to send files to other apps.
    reck
    Participant

Thanks guys.

I couldn’t find an “Open In” option within the Geocache app I use, but it does allow you to export easily to a Dropbox folder and Dropbox does have this option. So this makes it pretty easy to get the cords over to Pocket Earth.

jsgblom
    • Topics: 88
    • Replies: 250
    Dropbox is the best way for me too. I have a subfolder in my Dropbox called GPX files where I store all my GPX files. 
    (This way I also have a back up of all my GPX files in the cloud and can work on them with programs or websites on my computer without having to think about updating to my iDevices.)
    bwpsg42
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

When you import a gpX file, I have only been able to get it to show as a track not as a route. How are you making this conversion?
    Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.