POCKETEARTH

How often is the map updated?

Home All Topics General How often is the map updated?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ervano
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

Great app and great rendering! I’m amazed how quickly I can download an entire country and then have the map available in full detail offline.

Which brings me to my question… How often is your map updated with new data from OpenStreetMap? I checked a part of Italy where I’ve recently spent a holiday, and it seems the last update there is from early May… If your maps lag this much behind in actuality, I might be tempted to start using one of the tile-server-based apps again 🙂

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Hi Ervano,
    Normally we try to provide timely data updates (using the weekly data exports from OSM). At the moment, however, OSM is undergoing a major license change and has been slow to publish the data exports. A new maps update will be available soon, and we will resume our usual data updates as soon as they complete this change.

To be always up-to-date with PocketEarth map data you can set an automatic update period (Settings > Data Cache >Automatic Updates).

Rjcorazza
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

OSM has to the best of my knowledge completed this, as well as the data “redaction” (?). With the exception of old data your application is truly awesome. Incredibly small data requirement, fast rendering, and smooth interface.
    The fact remains, however, that a great application cannot overcome old map data. Most of the data in my area is several months old, which is significant given the amount of editing I do on OpenStreetMap.

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

The OSM license change and data redactions have been completed recently.   We are planning a major app update, PocketEarth v1.3, to be available in the next 2 weeks.  The latest OSM dataset will be available with this release, and we will be continuing our regular OSM data updates from there.

PocketEarth v1.3 and the new dataset has been enhanced to include more data, and many corrections, in particular by adding correct support for polygon inner rings. The new dataset is not compatible with the current version of PocketEarth (v1.2.2), this is why we held off the maps update a little longer than intended.
    You can see our full feature/change list for v1.3 Here.
    ervano
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

Wow! Like it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.