POCKETEARTH

Icons for GPX files?

Home All Topics General Icons for GPX files?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 298

I have the opportunity to download a dozen or two GPX files from a website. The files plot arcaeological sites in Europe. I got a few of them; they seem to my very amateur self to be collections of “waypoints” with no tracks: several hundred per file.

Each point has the following kind of information:

<wpt lat="47.649083" lon="-3.085033">
    <name>Alignement de Kervarquer</name>
    <url>http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=31683</url>
    <desc>County:Bretagne:Morbihan (56) Type:Stone Row / Alignment, Pos Accuracy:5 Condition:2 Ambience:3 Access:4 Image:Yes </desc>
    <sym>a URL is here</sym>
    <type>Stone Row / Alignment</type>

1. The name gets imported.
    2. The site URL gets ignored.
    3. The description gets into the Notes field.
    4. The Symbol URL gets ignored.
       4a. I have checked, and the GIFs for the symbols do exist on the host web site. I left it out of this post in case it’s supposed to be secret!
       4b. PE uses a generic gray ball for the icon.
    5. The Type gets ignored.

Is there some way to have the ignored info get used/incorporated when importing these files? Thanks!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Yes, URL, symbol text and type should probably be imported and shown somewhere, maybe just at the top of the Notes field.

Note that the symbol field is *not* suppose to be a URL, its suppose to be a plain text description or name of the symbol, where any such symbol name is allowed. For example, Garmin uses its own set of around 50 symbol names and icons. Other vendors use different ones, which may or may not be compatible with one another.  The only good way to handle this field is to have our own database of different vendor symbol names and create our own icons to map them to. We may do this at some point, but it is really a lot of work.
    BuckyE

Ah, the light begins to dawn! I cannot thank you enough for taking the time when you all are so busy with iOS 7 and PE v7 issues to answer my amateur questions.

I think now I understand better the problem involved with what I’ll call “foreign” icons. Would it be fair/accurate to say the various icons used in PE are built in to the app? In other words, they are downloaded as data with the app itself? The same way Garmin and other apps have their own built-in icons? So that, in general, PE doesn’t have any way to use other people’s icons? Fascinating! I’m so ignorant to not have thought that through for myself!

OK, I can see that I’ll probably be the only –well, nounours might also, but in that case we would be only TWO users — to ever want to import foreign icons. Please ignore the request. It’s definitely not worth spending valuable, precious time on!

On the other hand, perhaps next year we might revisit the concept? The icons found at, for instance, the Megalithic Portal website are not SO foreign in size or format. Simple JPEGs. Perhaps, some day, PE will create a way to use such things. But that’s a “far future” consideration.

In the meantime, thank you again and again for your consideration of my far-fetched requests!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

There is some interesting discussion of this here.  There are links on that page of tables of Garmin symbols (icons and names).

Yea, would be cool to support this, but yea, its probably for next year 😉
    BuckyE

Neat! Great!

Actually, the icons in question are GIFs.

I could use a text editor to Find/Change the URLs and replace them with the relevant GIF file names. If PE could import picture files to use as icons, I’d be all set. Whether any other user would ever avail themselves of such a function is, ummm, unlikely?

So, back burner for this, for sure! Thanks for your taking time out now, and don’t answer this post until next year!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.