POCKETEARTH

Importing GPX track: choose between filename or metadata name

Home All Topics Feature Requests Importing GPX track: choose between filename or metadata name

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    jsgblom
    • Topics: 88
    • Replies: 250

When creating a route in a 3rd party program and export this as a GPX file or when downloading a GPX file from a website (routeyou, wikiloc, …) the metadata name and the file name is either to long, not really descriptive or is not given. Most of the time they are different.

In my opinion the filename should be leading because this is what the user sees when it is downloaded to the harddisk. But the metadata name might be more descriptive, but is often way to long (<full address> to <full address>). When I download a GPX file I usually change the file name to a more (shorter) descriptive name. When importing the GPX file PE uses the metadata name. This means I have to change both the filename by opening the GPX file in a text editor to change the metadata name as well.

I think most users expect the filename when importing it into PE, and when deliberately changed, would definitely prefer the filename over the metadata name.

My request is this: It would be really helpful to have the user choose between the filename and the metadata name after the import is succeeded. (Maybe even use both somehow in PE…).

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.