POCKETEARTH

Insert Route Points

Home All Topics Feature Requests Insert Route Points

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    IBBrowning
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 1

Is there a way to add route points in the middle of a route or change the ordering after new points are added? I’m finding that it is not possible to get a proper route without this as the routing tends to make some very bad choices on it’s own.

I’m also finding that in testing routing that instructions are not explicit. Instead of ‘Turn right on ramp to I79 south, routing just says ‘Slight right’. This may be usable if someone else is in your car manning the GPS but alone and driving it is not currently a viable substitute for commercial data sources. It is currently confusing just following routes I know well, I can imagine what it would be like in an unknown foreign city. Does this limitation come from Cloudmade?  My comments here are based on my participation in OSM and the strong desire to see OSM become a viable basis for Nav apps. Best of luck!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Currently it is not possible in PocketEarth to reorder or insert route points in the middle of a route, but this will be added soon. We are doing a significant redesign of the Routing part of our app for v1.3 which will bring this and other improved functionality.

As you know, the routing instructions and road choices come from CloudMade, and are based on OSM data. It is often due to a lack of detailed routing data in OSM that results in poor directions, but in some cases, it could be issues with CloudMade’s service. We, also, would love to see OSM become a truly viable alternative for navigation purposes.

It will take a good while because it is a huge undertaking, but it is on our roadmap to create our own routing engine to enable PocketEarth to do routing functions completely offline. In doing this we also hope to provide better directions than is currently possible.
    IBBrowning
    Participant
    • Topics: 3

I have to say that my comments and bug report are a result of the fact that PocketEarth works so well even now in its early releases compared to a lot of packages out there. Other apps I’ve tried don’t even deserve comment. I will definitely continue to use PocketEarth, especially for foreign travel. Keep up the good work.

AnthonyH
    Participant
    • Topics: 1

I’m a new user, and am glad to hear you’re working on the routing.

My additions to the suggestion for routing improvements are:
    Moving a route point should not reset the name to the default,
    Please add a way to force choosing a particular road along a route without having to add a separate route point (or perhaps have a separate route point type just for forcing a change in the route. (Being able to insert a route point would take care of this, but it would still be a full-fledged route point, even though it’s not really an important itinerary.
    Consider having a route grouping (a series of linked routes). We’re planning a long vacation, and I created a long route for several legs. I’d really like to have each leg be a separate route, but have them linked, where the start/end points are the same, so I can show either the whole route, or just the one for a particular day.
    Similar to the insertion request, there needs to be a way to delete a route point. Now that I have my long route, there’s no way for me to break it up into its pieces.
    A way to convert route points into pins (and to create a route from existing pins) would be nice, too.
    Like I said, I’m a new user. I like the program, and especially that it works well offline. I’ve looked through the help and FAQ’s but didn’t see these features. Please forgive me if I’ve missed something obvious.
    GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Hi Anthony,

Your points about routing are well taken. In v1.3 we are separating the idea of trip destinations and control points. Each trip destination creates a “sub route” with its own driving instructions. Control points on the other hand will be used only for controlling which streets the route takes, and will be created by dragging and dropping from anywhere along the route line.

Route points can already be removed, albeit clumsily through the X button on its corresponding “segment” panel (double tap on the route info panel to show/hide the segments panels). v1.3 will introduce a much better UI model for this that won’t have any limitations on the number of destinations you can add, and will offer a fixed height route panel with a destinations/segments selector.

Creating a route from an existing Pin is possible, just select the Pin, and in its Info Panel, tap the route button.  This uses the pin in a route, but the Pin will also continue to exist independently of the route.  Would you like to see PocketEarth do something more here?  Creating a Pin from an existing Route Point is currently not possible nor planned. Is this something you would like to see?

Thanks for the good feedback, look forward to hearing more!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.