POCKETEARTH

Ios7

Home All Topics Bugs Ios7

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tanuki
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Since uploading iOs7 to my iPad, every time I open pocket earth my maps start re-downloading,this happens over and over again.A window “have finished downloading and are available for offline use” appears for every map I have,clicking on the close button does nothing till the next series of maps finish downloading. This is not a one off incident, I am looking at the screen and it has started all over again.It’s like a bad silent movie, I have no control over the app.

BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 298

My bloody minded iPad auto downloaded iOS 7 overnight and caused me to exceed our ISP’s data cap! I was tempted to install it. Am I glad I didn’t.

Thank you for this report!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Apple has approved our PocketEarth v1.6.2 hot-fix update which corrects the startup time crashing issue on the new iPhone 5s and other critical iOS 7 fixes.

Unfortunately, we have not been able to reproduce the download issue reported here on any of our test devices, nor have we received any other reports from users about it.  Please let us know if you continue to have this issue with the new version!  If so, you may want to backup your favorites data, and try re-installing the app.
    tanuki
    Participant

Went to open a favorite map only to find it no longer existed. Seems as though I have lost all maps after downloading ios7 this explains why I could not understand the crazy download nonsense. How do I recover my maps ( favorites) do I have to download all of them again.?

BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 298

Dear tanuki,

I hope the developers don’t mind my butting into your thread! But I can’t help notice there may be a slight confusion about how to fix your problem.

You are speaking of your “Favorites” maps. It looks like, somehow, the transition to iOS 7 wiped out/deleted your maps. So PE is thrashing around trying to re-download your “Favorites (maps).” Unfortunately, as I have found, once Maps are messed up, it is necessary to re-download them.

But, the message from the developers also talks about “backup your favorites data…” This might be confusing. It is possible in Pocket Earth to save your Pins/tracks/routes/user entered “data/”Favorites” to iTunes and re-import that stuff. However, it is NOT possible to save your “maps/”Favorites.” Those, if somehow lost/deleted must be re-downloaded. It looks like you will have to re-download your maps.

tanuki
    Participant

Just downloaded an update to iOS7, the maps that I had downloaded for the second or third time (only Japan and Australia) are gone. Am in the process of downloading them again, even tried restoring my ipad backup from iTunes but received a corrupted file message. Just opened my monthly bill for my data on iPad, $236 Australian. The biggest downloads have been the initial download of maps and the following download after iOS7 install. This is fast becoming the most expensive app in the app store.

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

@tanuki:  Sorry to hear this! We are not sure what could have happened. The iOS 7 downloads themselves are almost 1GB each, so if you got iOS 7 and then the 2 minor updates (7.0.1 & 7.0.2) then this might account for some of your data usage.

PocketEarth marks the map files in a special way such that iOS should never delete them. On all of our test devices we have never seen this issue and updates to both the app and iOS has preserved the maps data correctly.
    Normally for an automatic in-app data update, it checks automatically but still prompts the user if they want to update and this prompt tells you the download size.
    My best guess at the moment is that there could be an obscure bug which allows an in-app data update to proceed without prompting first. One report from another user has suggested this.  And the first stage of the update indeed deletes all data first before downloading the new data (this is done because the data can be quite large and the space may not be available on the device otherwise).  My recommendation would be to change PocketEarth’s Network Mode setting to Offline after you have downloaded all desired maps. This would prevent any automatic updating. If you still find the maps disappear, please let us know.  We are looking into this potential bug and will correct it in the next update if we manage to track it down.
    It has also come to our attention recently that there is an issue with ISPs and WiFi points which redirect you to a special login, status, or legal page when first connecting. In this case, if you have not opened Safari and proceeded through this initial process, then this system hijacks the network requests made from PocketEarth and we don’t have a robust enough way to determine this at the moment. When this happens, PocketEarth may appear to download maps data correctly, but then later when you try to view it, it will detect it is corrupted, delete it, and attempt to download it again. At least in this case the bad downloads should not use very much bandwidth  This will take some time to fix, but we will correct it in our next major release.  I am not sure if this could be related to what you are seeing.
    iCloud and iTunes backups do not include the map data in PocketEarth. It is too large – Apple does not allow it to be included. 
    Very sorry for the inconvenience and expense.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.