POCKETEARTH

Japanese being labelled incorrectly with Chinese Latin phonetic text

Home All Topics Bugs Japanese being labelled incorrectly with Chinese Latin phonetic text

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    shanecoughlan
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

I just downloaded your app and I am very impressed by the features and ease of use. However, your Japanese map data appears problematic. For example, the OpenStreetMap website has detailed information about the location about Osaka main station in Japanese and English but your map is only displaying a few street names in Romanji (Latin alphabet Japanese) and – curiously enough – primarily showing Latin alphabet Chinese.

Here is a screenshot showing the Latin alphabet Chinese turning up again on the Japanese map. This makes it quite confusing and unhelpful. As it is, the map is nearly unusable.
    mxkv67
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1
    Shane, they know about this issue, we just have to wait “We hope to have it fixed in one of the coming versions of PocketEarth. Unfortunately this will not be ready for our next update (v1.3, to be released in October)” ( http://www.geomagik.com/forum/discussion/5/map-text-localization/p1 )
    shanecoughlan
    Participant

Thanks for your excellent explanation. Hopefully the missing Asian fonts and proper localisation will appear soon. This is a great app, but right now it’s not useful in Japan. This impacts me as that’s where I live. 🙂

alex
    Participant

i have the same problem. just purchased the app and realized that the maps for china, taiwan and hong kong are all labelled in latin alphabet instead of chinese. OSM maps of theses places are labeled in chinese characters.

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Just want to update this thread because this issue has been open for a while:

PocketEarth achieves its great rendering performance, in part, by using OpenGL, the same graphics technology that enables most video games. Unfortunately for us, this means that we must handle all font/text rendering aspects ourselves as Apple does not provide efficient means for us to draw text in OpenGL. This is a huge amount of work, and developing it has been perhaps the single most time consuming aspect of making our app!

We had hoped to deliver Asian font support in our next update, v1.5 to be released in the next few weeks, however, its looking like it won’t make it in until v1.6. But Asian text support is now our most requested enhancement, and it is our highest priority. If it doesn’t make it into v1.5, you can be sure it will be in v1.6. We don’t have a specific timeline for v1.6, but I can tell you it will be released as soon as the Asian text issue is resolved.
    GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Just a quick update:  While we have released v1.6 update, it was a very small update meant mainly to correct a number of important bugs and other issues in the app.  We are still working on asian font support and plan to have it available in our next update. Please know that this is our TOP priority! Hopefully this will be at most one month away, but we can’t guarantee it at this point. Thank you for your patience!

shanecoughlan
    Participant

Thank you for the update! I hope the new version is ready soon 🙂

Nguyen
    Participant

At now, version 2.0 but Japan dont display address in Japanese or Romanji (Latin alphabet Japanese) 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.