POCKETEARTH

Latest update 19 Jul 2014 crashes app!

Home All Topics Bugs Latest update 19 Jul 2014 crashes app!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    sclepj
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

I followed the latest update issued today and now the app opens for a few seconds and then closes?! I was intending to use the app overseas next week and currently unusable! Please advise & many thanks, SJ

MikeB
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 55

For me it is working normally. I’ve done a few things with it and have no crashes.

sclepj
    Participant

Yes prior to the latest update it was working fine for me! Now it opens but closes almost straight away. I have restarted the iPad and still the same 🙁

MikeB
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 55

I’m using it on an iPhone 5. Perhaps that has something to do with it? It still has worked normally since the update. In fact, I tried it just now.

sclepj
    Participant

Yes maybe it’s an iPad thing, I have it in my iPhone too but have chosen not to update it yet!

XOMTOR
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 118

Sorry to hear about your trouble SJ. All may not be lost though; you may be able to roll back to the previous version by following the steps at this link:

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/971543

Be aware, that you should backup the data in Pocket Earth (PE) before deleting the new app from your iPad. You can do this by going into PE’s settings menu, under the Export-Import section, choose “export” and then “Export All Data:iTunes”. This will save an archive of the data that you can later re-import. You should go into iTunes right after this step to save the file to your PC’s desktop as deleting the app using the link above will also see iTunes delete this archive file. You can always copy it back to iTunes after you re-install the app. Also note that the archive doesn’t save map data, so you’ll need to re-download the maps.

This should only need to be a temporary measure as I’m sure the developers will be able to get you sorted out properly.

sclepj
    Participant

Thank you for your detailed response unfortunately won’t work for me as I can’t get “into PE’s settings menu, under the Export-Import section, choose “export” and then “Export All Data:iTunes” as the app closes as soon as I open it! Also I have not backed up my iPad to iTunes, only to iCloud!

Looks like all my pre-trip work lost + maps too! Wish I has not updated as was working fine! 🙁

XOMTOR

Oh right, if PE crashes immediately upon launch, it’d be kinda hard to backup your data. I have no idea how iCloud backups work, but it’s possible the data is there. May be worth a shot to roll back and then try to restore the data from iCloud. Hopefully @GeoMagik will see this thread and can offer better insight.

sclepj
    Participant

Thank you for your help but I bit the bullet, deleted PE and have started out again! Painful but actually probably a better set up this time round 🙂

I have also Exported a file to iTunes (not that I use it) which means if it crashes again that file is on the iPad so I can reload it.

Talking of which do you know how I can sync up the PE setup on my iPad onto PE on my iPhone? Clearly there is an Export file on my iPad but how to get that to the phone?!

sclepj
    Participant

TAKE II – just worked out how to sync to other device! I Exported the backup file via email to myself. On 2nd device I opened the email and saved it into PE = all done and thank you for your help 🙂

XOMTOR

Great to hear you were able to get PE back up and running. Were you able to save your data or did I misunderstand? Good idea to backup the archive file of PE data either through iTunes or email.

BTW, were you able to get v2.2 to work or did you have to roll back to 2.1.1?

sclepj
    Participant

On my iPad I just bit the bullet and started all over again. I deleted the app (along with all of My POI’s, My Pins & Maps!) and then just reloaded PE from the App Store. So I now have 2.2 on the iPad and it appears to be working fine. I then reloaded my maps and have slowly been adding back My POI’s & My Pins that I need for an upcoming trip.

In addition (wish I did this beforehand and lesson learnt!) I next exported a full ‘PE Archive’ from the iPad to myself via email.

On the iPhone the update worked fine. To sync the POI’s & Pins data with the iPad I opened the ‘PE Archive’ that I had emailed myself from the iPad and hey presto it’s all in sync and now backed up too!

Thank you for all your help and all good now 🙂

XOMTOR

Thanks for following up, glad to hear you got it sorted. It sounds like you’ve got a pretty solid workflow should any issues arise in the future.

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

@sclepj:

Sorry to hear this happened! Of course it shouldn’t have and we haven’t had any other reports of this issue. But we will be on the look out for the bug that could have caused it. I am guessing though that you had a corrupt favorite caused by a bug in the saving routing in a previous version of the app. Just wish I had jumped in this conversation early I may have been able to save your data (and identify the bug!).

BTW, we are working on an automatic sync feature for one of our coming updates (probably v2.5) so you don’t have to do the manual export/import approach.

sclepj
    Participant

Not to worry all good now and have to say what fabulous customer service – some Big Co’s could learn a lot from you guys :-). Many thanks once again…

Myfiveacres
    Participant
    • Replies: 6

I wish I had looked at e forum before updating. I just updated my ipad version and am having the same problem described here – I open PE and within seconds it crashes. Turning ipad off and on again doesn’t help.
    I have a sixteen month bicycle trip pinned on the maps, so don’t want to delete and start again. Please help!

GeoMagik
    Admin

We think we have identified the bug causing this and will have an update in a week or so (we need to do more verification and then wait for Apple approval for the update).

If you need to use Pocket Earth before then, the only option is the delete and reinstall the app. If you want to preserve your favorites this is a way to do it using some third party software on your computer to manually copy the favorites data off the device before deleting PE. If you are interested in doing this, let me know and I will give more details about the process.

Myfiveacres
    Participant

Hi,
    Please send me the instructions for saving my favourites. Will this save all my pins, saved locations, and routes?
    Thanks.

GeoMagik
    Admin

Yes you can save all favorites, even maps are possible to save using the following method:

1. Download and install the third party software iFunBox (free) on your laptop/desktop.
    2. Connect your iPhone/iPad to your computer using the USB cable.
    3. Open the iFunBox software and select your device.
    4. Choose User Applications and double click on Pocket Earth in the list.
    5. Choose the folder Library
    6. Choose the folder Private Documents
    7. You will see two folders called UDB and Data. UDB contains all of your favorites (including pins/routes/groups/etc). Data contains the map data.
    8. Select one or both of these folders (just highlight, don’t double click) and Choose the “Copy to Mac/PC” option from the toolbar.
    9. After it has finished coping the folders, verify that folders are on your computer.
    10. On your iPhone/iPad, you can now delete and redownload/install the app.
    11. On your iPhone/iPad, double tap the Home button to get to the app multi-tasking mode and swipe up on Pocket Earth to close it.
    12. Use iFunBox to copy the folders back into Pocket Earth using the same approach as above, this time using the “Copy from Mac/PC” to copy them back on.
    13. Open Pocket Earth again and verify your favorites are still found.

Note: After doing the above, if it still crashes, try deleting the Data folder in the app using iFunBox (but leave the UDB folder), and re-downloading your maps manually using the Pocket Earth “Get Maps” option in the main menu. If you still have issues, you can email us the UDB folder by making a ZIP file of it first and we can correct it (this might also indicate the bug is not what we think it is, and could greatly help us diagnose it).

Let me know if you have any problems.

Myfiveacres
    Participant

Just to update the forum, I did the reinstall of the Data ad UDB folders as described, but ended up with the same crash problem.
    I have emailed a zip of my UDB folder to the GeoMagik team for them to work on it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.