POCKETEARTH

Limit to number of Pins?

Home All Topics General Limit to number of Pins?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 298

Just answered a post and I’ll start a new specific one on this topic. Is there a limit to the number of Pins I can store in PE Pro?

I’ve got a whole bunch of them I’d like to import, and that would put my number well over 20,000. Is that OK?

Yours,
    Bucky Edgett

(iPad 2, 32gb, iOS 7.1; PE Pro 2.4)

BuckyE

Kids: Don’t Try This At Home!

Well, I think I’ve answered my own question, at least generally. 24,049 Pins is over the limit. At least, if they are all Visible/not Hidden. At least, on my iPad 2. Perhaps a more modern device with better CPU and more memory would be OK with that number of Pins showing.

When I have all my silly obsessive prehistoric sites Pins showing, and try to View any Favorite, the map zooms to the view, my Favorites icons show, the base map is blanked out/doesn’t get rendered, and PE Pro 2.4 crashes.

I think PE works OK when I have my massive Pin Groups Hidden (leaving the smaller, more reasonably sized Groups visible) but then the Hidden Pins are still selectable, which is a bit confusing.

In the end, until I can afford a new iPad, I’ll just have to remove some of these huge multi-thousand-Pin Groups and re-import them when I actually need them for traveling. It’s been an interesting experiment! And, now I have the CSVs all cleaned up, available for when they are actually going to be relevant. Neato!

Yours,

Bucky Edgett

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    BuckyE

Hmmm, only sent one attachment. Just for fun:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

There is no technical limit to the number of pins or favorites, however, very large numbers can degrade performance significantly especially on older devices (like iPad 2). Hiding the individually or via groups using the hidden flag can alleviate much of the slowdown you will notice when using the map, however, saving or making any changes to or deleting saved favorites content can cause the app the freeze momentarily.

We do not recommend having over 5,000 favorites, but are working to improve this.

BuckyE

Thanks for the tip. I knew I was going overboard!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.