POCKETEARTH

Look ahead

Home All Topics Feature Requests Look ahead

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jsgblom
    • Topics: 88
    • Replies: 250

It would be nice to have the possibility to put the current position in “look ahead” mode.

The part of the map ahead of you is more interesting than the map behind you when moving. So almost half the screen is not giving you any important info since your not going there!

This could be solved dynamically using the direction. Another – more flexible – way is to let the user pin-point (fix) the position dot in a selected part of the screen. So it acts the same way as the center option, but on a selected position on the screen.

Holding the position dot and dragging it to a wanted part of the screen would be an user friendly way to do this.

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Thanks for the feedback!  We have already noticed this issue, and will consider your feedback to improve it. I will let you know when we have more information.

scottharvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I would also like to see this feature implemented, especially after pressing play to follow a route you can’t see much of the map that coming up ahead of you.  

jsgblom

I’m very pleased to see that you implemented the look ahead feature in the new v1.5,
    really good work! (Overall I’m really impressed by the improvements you made in this version. Pocket Earth was the best, and now you’re even better!)

Luckily there is always something left to ask for… if I’m not mistaken currently it is not implemented in the North Up mode, which I use most often. I would very much like to see it working for North Up mode as well using the course over ground as the direction to use. This way the map will be centered when not moving.

GeoMagik
    Admin

Good suggestion jsgblom, we will try to include this in the next update!

jsgblom

Look ahead in North-Up mode works like a charme since the new update, thanks!

It looks like the compass is being used though. So when PE is in landscape mode the orientation is 90° off. Also when mounted on a (steel) bicyle the compass has a deviation.

It might be better to use Course Over Ground instead of compass heading. Also, when your not moving the map should be centered instead of look ahead, which corresponds better with using the COG (since there is no COG when standing still).

GeoMagik
    Admin

Go to Settings > Advanced > GPS Arrow and you can change it from using the compass to COG (called Heading in the options :/).  When using COG it does take your speed into consideration and returns to center when not moving.

On the other hand, I do not see any issues with the compass based arrow in landscape or any other orientation, provided I have calibrated the compass frist.  If its close to a steel bike frame, then its understandable it may have interference.  But do you by chance have the orientation lock on? That is the only thing I can think of to cause it to be off by 90°.
    jsgblom

Perfect! I was looking for this setting, but didn’t expect it there. I assumed GPS arrow had an on/off setting only.

Maybe better to name it “GPS arrow and orientation”

I realize know that my (huge) compass deviation is mainly because I have a battery inside the case! Anyway this is solved when setting the orientation to COG.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.