POCKETEARTH

Manual routing

Home All Topics Feature Requests Manual routing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    cl0ud
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

I tried to find a previous request for this feature but couldn’t, so apologies if it has already been raised somewhere.

I would like to be able to manually create a route made up of a number of POIs/dropped locations that are connected by straight lines. This would allow me to create routes myself using the powerful maps in PocketEarth but without relying on having an internet connection. I wouldn’t necessarily want to navigate the routes in PocketEarth – ideally I could save the routes as favourites and export them as a GPX file which I can then load into my Garmin for use on my bicycle. 
    This could be an extension of the current “track to” feature, just supporting a different starting location and multiple points instead of just one, and allowing you to move/delete/insert points along the route as you build it.
    ViewRanger for the iPad has similar functionality but PE is much much better so it would be great to have this as a feature!
    Keep up the good work.
    zatruk
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

After using PE for 4 months navigating through cities & highways of Europe without internet access, I would like to support the request to be able to manually mark the display with a intended route – as opposed to the server based route calculation process. By this I mean drawing lines on the display – they don’t have to be too sophisticated. As we did not have internet access for many days we had to resort to dropping pins at intended turning points. We always had the luxury of a passenger and two iPads which allowed the driver to concentrate on driving in unfamiliar areas, but the process of manually added pins would have been much improved by being able to see lines marking out the intended pathway.

Kritou
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 96

This feature seems to be a popular request – any chance of an implementation?

bvcyswim
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

I also feel this feature should be implemented. Manual routing while disconnected from the internet would be a must-needed feature.

BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 298

I am certianly not the expert, and reading the Help Manual was not conclusive for me! But, can’t we do something along these lines by using the “Add Waypoint” function to a new Route?

Or are Waypoints not what you folks want?

bvcyswim
    Participant

I’ve noticed that when adding a waypoint along the route, and you are navigating and come to one these these intermediate “waypoints,” PE tells you that you are “arriving at your destination.” I really don’t need to hear this the until I have arrived at he end of my route. Other Windows mapping programs such as Delorme Street Atlas use what they call “Vias” which serve the same purpose but do not announce that you have arrived at one.

Anyway, being able to do all this offline would be really nice.

Kritou

As I see it, full offline routing by road/path is desirable (and under consideration I believe) but, I suspect, not easy to implement while keeping the app small and simple. What some would like to see however is a simple method of joining up a sequence of waypoints with straight lines without employing an external routing engine

BuckyE

Dear Kritou and other friends,

I realize y’all would prefer an offline/baked-in way to do this, and so don’t want to sound like a know-it-all-apologist!

But a fall-back position for those who might be able to plan ahead (I say this as an inveterate and obsessive trip planner!) might be to construct desired “Way Point Routes” in Google Earth, and save them as KML/KMZs which can be converted to GPX ( http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input ) to import into PE.

I know, it’s a clumsy workaround, but it does work. I’ve used the method for several projects in PE. But then, I never do anything spontaneously, on the go. Sorry!

Yours,
    Bucky Edgett

Nomae
    Participant
    • Replies: 2

I must be missing something about what you all are trying to do because it seems to me that PE does exactly what you want.

I create a route by picking a starting and ending point and then I just drag the route to follow the exact roads I want to take. PE then gives me voice-guided turn-by-turn instructions that follows my route exactly. Unlike MapQuest it doesn’t throw my route out the window the second I miss a turn. And you can pick up any route from wherever you are (MapQuest always tried to take me back to my starting point if I restarted in the middle of a ride).

It is so simple to drag the route where you want and I’m thrilled I no longer have to go into MapQuest to create a route and text it to my phone.

Please let me know what I am missing here as I really want to take full advantage of all PE has to offer and if there is something here it doesn’t do I’ll vote to have it added as a new feature.

Also, can anyone tell me why you want straight line tracking between two points? I can’t think of any use for that at all.

Thanks.

bvcyswim
    Participant

Thanks to Nomae …
    Setting a what PE calls a “control point” along the route does indeed work by tapping, holding, and dragging the route to where you want it to go. That’s much different than adding another “destination” that announces “arriving at destination” when driving thru it. I remember an update to the app a couple of weeks ago or so and was unaware they had added this feature. Maybe it was there all along and I missed it in the help manual :o(. I’ll check it out tonight on the way to dinner … As long as the control point doesn’t announce itself, I’ll be happy.

Anyway, I’d still like to be able to make changes while actually navigating out on the road (i.e., reversing the route) while not having an internet connection (I only have the iPad wifi only version.)

As far as a need for strait line tracking, I too can’t see the need unless you are out in the woods hiking and don’t mind walking off a cliff or bush wracking!

Kritou

Hello Nomae – I think that some of us would like a simple “in app” feature that does not require an internet connection but just creates a “route” of sequenced waypoints joined by straight lines

You ask, “why?”

Well, for example, I do a lot of long haul passenger flying and boredom often drove me to watch the Airshow where you can see your present position, ETA, height etc etc on the seatback video screen. Now, if I can get GPS reception, I can watch in small scale map detail our progress and, for instance, compare it with features visible through the window. Such a routing facility would let me automatically download in advance and detail the counties we are due to transit

Yeah, yeah, I’m a geo nut and who on earth else wants something like this?

Well, inshore sailors, light aircraft pilots, hikers who just need the next waypoint – in fact anyone whose journey through life does not require a published cycle track, approved hiking trail or paved surface!

BuckyE

Dear bvcyswim,

The Original Poster says, “This would allow me to create routes myself using the powerful maps in PocketEarth but without relying on having an internet connection.” In her/his case, I would call the multiple-straight-line result an Itinerary, not a Route.

Strikes me as a good potential feature. No one is always satisfied with a every Route any engine (built-in or networked) provides. Plans change, often on the go! Notes for Waypoints could contain contact information, hotel reservation numbers, etc. etc. for multiple sites or places around a town, for multiple towns or Destinations. And, not all of us are always on-line when traveling, especially in foreign countries or out-of-the-way places. (I could tell stories!)

This Itinerary function would be somewhat like a visual TripIt or something vaguely similar, except it wouldn’t require being online, and it would give access to the PE maps that the user would then use to manually navigate on the go. It would also be possible to edit the Waypoints offline, on the go. Interesting.

I kind of like the idea! Except if I were the developers, I would separate it from Tracks and Routes, creating the third category “Itinerary.” PE already has the functionalities necessary, they just need to be coordinated/collected/presented as a new Function.

Yours, Bucky Edgett

BuckyE

Oh, and what Kritou said while I was typing!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.