POCKETEARTH

maps not downloaded

Home All Topics Bugs maps not downloaded

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    mongrelfish
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 11

hi guys!

firstly, well done with the new version. looks much better and easier to use.

however, it has crashed me on me at times though i’ve got the latest version 2.01….

also, app says that all maps for a particular country have been downloaded. they seem to be there on the big scale, however, when i zoom in (offline), they are not there… is this a bug, or am i missing something?

when i am back online, and zoom in again, it shows the green bar saying downloading, and the maps appear. but as i have the whole world downloaded, i don’t have the time and patience to do this for all the maps.

so the question is, when i download a country, do all the maps for that country get downloaded (at all zoom levels)? this seemed to be the case in the last version….

i like to send you some crash logs but i’m in the middle of a trip, so not good timing.

i’ve tried to delete each individual country in ‘my maps’ and download again, and app tells me that all requested maps gave been downloaded.

so a bit frustrating when i really need to rely in this app.

hope you can put me right.

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799
    If you download a country is should include all map data in it in full detail and it is not necessary to download individual regions or cities of it.  I think I have seen an issue with Wikipedia that is not downloading properly for the green stared placed.
    “Deleting” maps by unstaring or tapping the trash icon does not immediately delete them but rather marks them for deletion and will be in the background afterwards (because deletion is actually a slow operation).  Thus if you then tap the star again or download button, it will scan for any missing maps and if it doesn’t find any, it will tell you all requested maps have downloaded.
    So sounds like maybe you ran into a bug with this.  What country did you try to download and where did you zoom in the map and find it wasn’t loaded?  Could you also tell me what device you are using and what version of iOS?  Thanks!
    If you have the ability to send us the crash logs after your trip that could be helpful.
    mongrelfish
    Participant

hi!

thanks for the prompt reply.

i’m using an iphone 5s 64gb, ios 7.1

‘my maps’ has the complete list of countries. the missing maps problem is happening with all of them. at the 200km scale, it shows the basic details. zooming in to the 100km and 50km scales only magnifies these details, doesn’t provide any detailed maps. at 20km scale, i get a white screen.

‘my maps’ has all the countries green starred stating saved for offline use.

i’m sorry but no chance to sync my device with a computer, so no crash logs available.

hope this helps to solve the problem.

BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 298

I am not crashing (v2.0.1, iOS 7 iPad) but I am definitely not getting all data downloaded for a country. Just last night/this morning I dl’ed Japan.

1. Now I am Starring/caching Kyoto, and get a message “Would you like to download all maps (<1 MB) for Kyoto for offline use?” Tapping Download results in a one-second flash of the Download Bar. Not nearly enough time to download a megabyte on my connection.

2. Tapping View gives me a zoomed-out view of the area. When I zoom in a level, the Download Bar flashes again, saying Downloading Maps. This time, about two seconds for the progress bar to zip across.

Having upgraded to v2, of course I’ve had to re-download all my countries. My system has been to download whole countries, then to Star a few regions and/or cities within the countries.

3. Pretty much every city Starred/Cached has exhibited the behavior noted in (2.) I guess it doesn’t matter, but it’s confusing. And makes me wonder if indeed my country has been fully downloaded. What other data may be missing for cities or downs I don’t Star>View>Zoom>Download, and how would I check or know?

Something odd is happening! Thanks.

XOMTOR
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 118

@BuckyE

Try starring a country, let it download and then put your iPad in “Airplane” mode and try zooming in on a map/select various sub-regions and cities. I just tried it with one of the provinces here in Canada and although it’s indicating the cities are “un-starred”, I’m able to zoom in just fine even while offline.

BuckyE

Dear Xomtor,

I will try that interesting test. Just at the moment, I continue to get “Downloading Maps” notices when I View a newly starred Destination/My Map, or sometimes right after I Star a sub-item.

As you say, this doesn’t seem to happen when I use gestures to zoom and pan the map.

But why am I getting these downloads? Weird!

mongrelfish
    Participant

hi BuckyE!

as geomagik stated in reply to my post, when you download a country, you shouldn’t need to star/cache any regions or cities within it. it seems that from a certain zoom level to the most detailed zoom level, that map data has not been downloaded due to a bug in the coding.

in my case, zooming and panning offline shows a white screen/ magnified view of zoomed-out view (depending on the zoom level). zooming and panning online activates the downloads for these regions, as seen by the green downloading ‘bar’. at the moment, this is the only way i can get detailed maps for a region. totally inefficient, and like you say, i don’t know if i have zoomed and panned everywhere and there may still be areas missing.

as for the ‘airplane’ mode workaround xomptor, it didn’t work for me.

just have to pray that the guys at geomagik find the bug in the coding which is preventing map data being downloaded when a country is starred/cached/downloaded.

mongrelfish
    Participant

i’ve been zooming and panning as usual to get my detailed maps, and after a while, the app crashes.
    frustrating!
    hope you geomagik guys can work your magic and make things right again.

mongrelfish
    Participant

hi guys!

so i’ve decided to uninstall and re-install the app to hopefully solve the problem of maps not downloading and crashing in general.

i tried to follow the advice you gave in the general thread about v 2.0 crashing and how to save ‘favourites’, i.e., i downloaded ifunbox on a friend’s pc and connected my device…. and nothing. no device recognised. am i missing something again? do i need to have itunes downloaded first?

please help, this is all totally frustrating as i need to use this app every day.

thanks!

ok, i’ve been doing some research and it seems that ifunbox is a itunes alternative and for sure i don’t need to download the latter. just have to figure out why my device is not recognised. sorry guys, i didn’t realise i had to go through all this hassle just to have an proper functioning offline map app.

mongrelfish
    Participant

finally i have some time and a stable place and internet connection.

and looks like i have resolved the issue:
    settings -> delete maps -> delete all maps
    and then download each country one by one. seems to be working so far, just will take a while to download the whole world 🙂

sorry for my whinging before – just frustration when i really needed the maps and they weren’t there.

mongrelfish
    Participant

looks like i wrote too soon. i downloaded japan and got the same problem as BuckyE described above. Maps missing for some areas at some zoom scales/levels. And not just Japan…. I zoomed in (offline) on Vladivostok after downloading Russia and found a white screen at a medium zoom scale, but the maps were there for the most detailed zoom scale.

Fortunately, Europe (where I am travelling now) maps seem ok now.

GeoMagik
    Admin

Looks like it may be an issue with the Wikipedia data. Some users have reported disabling Wikipedia from the Settings > Manage Data screen solved it (minus having wikipedia of course).  If you try this, let me know the results.  We are looking into it, but still having trouble reproducing the issue actually.

mongrelfish
    Participant

ok, i disabled wikipedia but this hasn’t solved the issue for me.
    for example, i downloaded the usa last night. going offline, i zoomed in on seattle. at 100km and 50km zoom scales, i got a magnified version of 200km zoom scale map. at 20km scale, i got a white screen. from 10km to 20m zoom scales, the maps are there.

GeoMagik
    Admin

Thanks we are looking into this! The data may have been corrupted during download but not detected until viewing it or it may be a bug with the new map data deletion feature we added in 2.0.

GeoMagik
    Admin

Just wanted to follow up that I believe these issues were resolved in v2.1.1 already, but that our next update v2.2 will have a greatly improved (simplified) way to download/delete maps and which is more robust.

v2.2 is expected to be available for download within the next 10 days.

BuckyE

OK, I think I understand some of the confusion I’ve been having.

A. v2.1.1

B. Have downloaded Japan.

C. Show Regions of Japan in the sidebar menu.

D. Tap a star to Save a city.

E. A dialog Box asks me if I want to “Download” approx 20 mb of data. If I click Download, 2 seconds later my city is green Starred.

There’s no way my ISP is going to send me 20mb in 2 seconds, it would be more like 6 minutes. So the Dialog Box is not recognizing that I have the data. Perhaps something similar is/was going on with the Download Maps progress bar? I don’t seem to be seeing that so much now (after v2.1.1?)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.