POCKETEARTH

New route problems

Home All Topics Bugs New route problems

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MikeB
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 55

One of the problems may be similar to the post directly below – not finding addresses. But not all. I am trying to make a walking route from the airport in Nice to a train station several hundred meters outside the airport. The train station is labelled in Pocket Earth as Nice Saint-Augustin. If I use that as the destination address, Pocket Earth cannot find it. I have tried several other variations and Pocket Earth sometimes shows me a result with, I believe, a post code and the city name, but it has never returned the correct result. Another problem is that at some point GPS is turned on automatically. I then get an error that walking route is too far because, thanks to GPS, it assumes that I am leaving or going to home. I have to stop and start over at that point. I don’t understand why a choice for destinations isn’t available with the map. In Google maps now, you can select any point and say “route to here” or “route from here”. It would be great if Pocket Earth could offer something like that.

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Pocket Earth has this function as google, but its less prominent because we are not primarily a routing app. You can tap on the Info Panel for any POI/Pin on the map, then you will see a Route button. This gives you Route To Here and Route From Here options.

v2.2 update should be available later this week it includes a number of usability improvements to the routing feature. It will also correct the address search issue.

MikeB
    Participant

Many thanks. I found the button, as you wrote, and then GPS turned itself on and I got the following message: ‘Error. Exceeded pedestrian maximum gross distance for locations (Max=200.0, Actual=611.7206 miles)’ Miles?

Closing the error box, turning off GPS and trying again did work.

I suspect that like many users, I work on the maps when I am at home (with Wifi) and actually use the maps when I am away. I therefore don’t understand why GPS turns itself on during the creation of a new route since (as I wrote) most people would work on this route at home and not while on a trip.

In December 2015, European mobile ISPs are scheduled to drop roaming charges. That will be great, but I still will keep Pocket Earth on wifi only since I will have a limited data plan and will hopefully have wifi at my hotel. So, even with the end of roaming costs, my modus operandi will probably not change: work on the maps at home, use them when traveling.

In another thread, I said that bicycle routing was a problem and, in case it wasn’t clear, the problem seems to be the interpretation of bicycle movement, not a problem of labelling. Specifically, it seems bicycles seem to be interpreted as autos rather than pedestrians – that is, they follow the rules for autos.

MikeB
    Participant

To follow up on the post above. I have also tried to make the route on Google maps and get the same result.

However, I still see a problem. The bus I will take has a stop near the corner of Bd. René Cassin and Route de Grenoble (this is all in Nice near the airport). The route has me walk from the bus stop to Route de Grenoble, then cross the street to enter Av. Edouard Grinda, from where I can walk to the train station.

Using Google street view, I see there is no pedestrian crossing from Route de Grenoble to Av. Edouard Grinda.

However, I believe it would be possible by staying on Bd. René Cassin until the opposite side of the underpass, then continuing directly to Av. Edouard Grinda. Well, checking street view again, it is even more complicated because the zebra crossings are not nicely lined up. This means crossing only until half to the opposite side, then turning left, going through the underpass on a small pedestrian island and then crossing on the other end.

If you look at this small area on street view, you will see that there is no simply no way to follow the route either by Google or Pocket Earth. However, I should point out that the street view was recorded in 2011. Yet, I am not optimistic that they have changed the zebra crossings when there is so much heavy auto traffic as shown in street view.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.