POCKETEARTH

New routing functions

Home All Topics General New routing functions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 299

This is terrific! What a wonderful update. Now…

I can see there are all kinds of functions in the new Routing function. will there be an expanded Help? There are icons I can’t figure out; dragging that seems to work sometimes but not others (I’m sure that’s me!); no way (?) to delete unwanted route points (I’m sure I just don’t understand!).

Please, a new Help. I need it to navigate this great new expanded version!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

PocketEarth v1.3 includes an updated Help Manual accessible in the Settings screen. The version on our website is out of date, but will be updated within the next couple hours. If it doesn’t clarify things, let me know here and I will do my best to explain.  

An important point to understand though, is that their are now 2 different kinds of “Route Points”: Destination Points and Control Points.  Control Points are created by pressing and dragging from the route line and are used for directing the routing algorithm to take certain streets. Route Destinations, on the other hand, will break the route into separate segments, each with their own driving instructions, and overview info. Route Destinations can be created in the same ways as in v1.2, and now also via the new Quick Route Menu from the main route button on the map. Finally, a Route Destination can also be created from a Control Point by tapping the route symbol on the control point’s info panel.

I think what you mentioned about dragging route points has to do with a “Snap to Road” behavior we added. This behavior applies to all Control Points, and the Destination Points only when dragging from a more zoomed out view.  This behavior is done in order to provide better results and less errors from the CloudMade routing service, since it fails if a point is too far from a “Routable Location”, namely a street.  Consider that depending on your zoomlevel, dragging a route point just 1 pixel on the screen could represent 100s of meters to several kilometers.

Let me know if you have any other questions after reading the updated help manual!
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.