POCKETEARTH

Pocket Earth unable to update from OSM for a couple months

Home All Topics Bugs Pocket Earth unable to update from OSM for a couple months

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Heron
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

Pocket Earth insists that it is up to date when I try to update the maps (Settings>Data Cache>Check Now) even though there have been hundreds of new alterations to OSM in my region in the past couple months.  How often do your servers scrape OSM for new data?  Could you make sure this in working?  I need to use the latest maps.  Would pay a few extra dollars to get more regular updates from OSM through Pocket Earth.

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Sorry about this. Our conversion process is broken currently. As soon as it gets fixed we will do an update.

XOMTOR
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 118

Any idea on the status of this? I’m an OSM contributor and some of the edits I made over a month and a half ago are still not reflected in PE.

nounours
    • Topics: 66
    • Replies: 260

I agree with Heron & Xomtor. Having up-to-date data is a must! I understand that updates consume a lot of bandwidth, but like xomtor, I would be willing to pay. 

I think the last update from OSM was around the 2nd of Octobre, at least this are the latest changes I did on OSM which are visible on PE. (I think officially, the policy of PE is to update once a month. This is in my opinion the least we (OSM-contributors) can live with. If this is extended to two or more months …)
    On the other hand, sometimes I have the impression that not all data is updated at the same time. I do not not if this is intentional, or a problem in the update process.
    mongrelfish
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 11

Hi guys!

Still no reply about the status of the updates problem I see… 

I reported a glaring map error over a month ago (and still no reply) which wasn’t on the OSM website. It’s an obvious error because it shows a road following the course of a river in the middle of Hamburg. The OSM website is correct. Yesterday, I got invited to update all my map data by the app which I duly did, hoping that the error was fixed. Nope, it’s still there. Just how up-to-date are these map updates?

I don’t mind paying for an app which is still a work in progress… but a map app has to have accurate and up-to-date map data! – this is fundamental and should be your number 1 priority.

Thanks for your attention.
    GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

@mongrelfish:

Our maps data processing server crashed over the holidays, and we had to rebuild it. This delayed our last update, which was finally published a few days ago. This is based on the OSM Planet dump from Jan 8th so it is about 2 weeks out of date now. 
    We will look into the specific issue you mention with B4. Do you happen to know if this was an issue on the OSM website which was corrected after Jan 8th?  If so, it will be corrected in our next update, otherwise we need to investigate it more in case there is a processing issue and this can take some time.
    mongrelfish
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 11

Hi guys!

Thanks for the prompt reply.
    The B4 map error was not an issue on the OSM website when I first consulted it on 28th December. It seems like something else is afoot. I hope you’ll get to the bottom of it.
    Thanks for investigating, and thanks for a great app – despite my frustrations at the lack of regular updates, I really appreciate all the work that you’ve done. This app is the reason I bought an iphone.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.