POCKETEARTH

Position arrow: higher contrast / left-right = port side – starboard

Home All Topics Feature Requests Position arrow: higher contrast / left-right = port side – starboard

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jsgblom
    • Topics: 88
    • Replies: 250
    Could the position arrow be of a different color with higher contrast? While cycling in bright sunlight it is sometimes hard to find, especially when following a blue track or route.
    Maybe make it even more fancy by using two colours: red half = port side, green half = starboard. 
    This will be appreciated by sailors, but also it makes it easier to decide to go left or right – when using Map Rotation = North and GPS Arrow = Course –  while not traveling in a northerly direction. 
    Many – I am at least one of them – people mix up left/right now and then when moving ‘up side down’.
    You will get intuitively used to the idea of: 
    – the route bends to the red side of the GPS arrow = left
    – the track bends to the green side = right  
    Any sailor will agree on this…
    PS: mixing up the left/right side is solved by having Map Rotation set to Course, but I prefer the North setting since this gives me a better orientation on the surrounding area I’m travelling through.
    jsgblom

I’ve been cycling quite a bit lately the blue arrow is sometimes hard to distinguish, especially when following a blue track.

It would be great to make the arrow stand out a bit more.

jsgblom

Back from a long distance trip with a lot of sunshine. It would be really nice if the arrow could stand out a bit more. Maybe not in the way I proposed some time ago (although I would like this).

An additional thought about the arrow. Because of the shape it is sometimes hard to see which direction it is pointing. The arrow has three sharp angles, and sometimes I have to look twice to spot the main one (see attached image). Again, while riding the bike and glancing at the screen, following a blue track line.

I propose to get rid of the sharp angles at the rear side of the arrow to make the point of the arrow more distinguishable. (And to promote the two coloured arrow: two colours would help to emphasise the direction, see attached image.)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jsgblom

@GeoMagik:

I would like to bring this to your attention again. I often get a comment about this from my ‘students’. (I give PE workshops to cyclists). They complain about the arrow not always being clearly visible. (Especially when using the cycle layer with the blue regional cycle tracks or a blue imported track.)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.