POCKETEARTH

question about tracks/gps

Home All Topics General question about tracks/gps

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Stub
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 0

I’ve been using PE to track hike distances for some weeks now. I’ve noticed that sometimes if I do an out-and-back hike that the distance at my turn-around point and my total distance do not add up. For example: two weeks ago I did an out-and back that said it was 6.0 miles to my turn around, but then my total distance was only 11.6 miles. Today I did an out-and-back that was 7.2 miles at the turn around and 14.9 total. The only difference I can think of is that sometimes I take breaks, and other times not. Two weeks ago I had stopped at the turn around point for a rest for maybe 10 minutes, and then a few times for shorter rests on the way back. Today I did not stop at all until I was already on the return journey, when I stopped once for 10-12 minutes and then several shorter rests along the way. So is my gps somehow still recording mileage when I am not moving? I have the GPS settings at highest accuracy with 0ft minimum distance moved, and 1s min time elapsed. Also at the lowest required accuracy. (25ft) Should I change any of those settings for better hiking accuracy?

I am updated fully as well.

Thanks so much! I LOVE the tracking feature even if it is not exact. It’s way better than ‘map my hike’, the other app I tried for this.

jsgblom
    • Topics: 88
    • Replies: 250

A GPS position is not static, even when you are not moving. Depending on the signal quality, number of satellites received and the position of the satellites the position varies a little every time it is calculated. When you switch on the GPS Info labels you will sometimes notice that it shows a speed and direction while you are not moving. So when taking a break it still might add some distance to your track, I think even more so when your Minimum Distance Moved is set to 1 meter.

@GeoMagik: Maybe set the minimum distance moved to 5 meter instead of 1, since it is overprecision?

One solution could be to switch off GPS while having a break. An extra advantage when doing this is you save some battery and you will split up your track in segments.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.