POCKETEARTH

replacement of zoom buttons

Home All Topics General replacement of zoom buttons

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MikeB
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 55

I recently (earlier this week) was riding on a bicycle in Bavaria. Pocket Earth was a great help. Unfortunately, I can no longer reach the zoom buttons since they have been moved to the top of the screen when I hold the phone in one hand. So, I must stop the bike, and move the phone so that I can reach the buttons. I do not understand why the buttons were moved in the first place, when all the other buttons are on the bottom of the screen. Now Pocket Earth is no longer usable with one hand as it used to be. What a shame!

jsgblom
    • Topics: 88
    • Replies: 250

The reason they where moved up was twofold. Unintentionally hitting them and being more obtrusive. (When dragging the map you will probably use the mid section of the screen the most.)

On a 4s one hand is still working for me though, but maybe I’ve got big hands.

But maybe we could ask for a small feature request? Add the options bottom-left and bottom-right?

BTW: for cycling I use a waterproof bikemount. Check out Lifeproof, there awesome (but expensive!) There are many other brands though.

MikeB
    Participant

The reason they where moved up was twofold. Unintentionally hitting them and being more obtrusive. (When dragging the map you will probably use the mid section of the screen the most.)

As they are now, you cannot hit them intentionally or unintentionally. How is that better?

I’m not sure what you mean about obtrusive. Now they are in the mid-section on the left side. They block part of the area, as you said, you use the most.

I had also asked that there be an option. So far I have no response. I have an iPhone 5 and big hands and I cannot hold the iPhone in one hand and reach the zoom buttons with my thumb. And, of course, people with iPhone 6 or 6 Plus will have an even bigger problem.

I also have a bike mount. However, I don’t travel usually travel with it. The problem on this ride was also that there was pouring rain. Fortunately, my iPhone stayed dry in my jacket pocket. Having to stop in pouring rain to move the iPhone because my finger could not reach the zoom buttons was especially frustrating. And sadly, the pub where I was headed did not have a fire where I could have dried my clothes. Though at least it was warm and the beer was good.

jsgblom
    • Topics: 88
    • Replies: 250

Obtrusive: If you drag the map you probably will you use the lower part of the screen the most, especially when using it with one hand. The zoom buttons near the other lower buttons makes a little more cluttered.

You mention the zoom buttons are on the left side. Are you holding the iPhone in your left hand? If not, placing them on the right side will solve this issue for you.

MikeB
    Participant

Normally, when I am walking or on a bike, the first button I press is the “where am I” button. This usually brings you to street level. I then zoom out until my destination also becomes visible. I rarely need to move the map, mostly I need to zoom in to see where I need to make a turn or where the route becomes complicated.

I had not noticed that it was possible to move the buttons to the right side. You are right, they are now reachable with one hand.

Thanks, that is now much better. I can live with them in the middle of the screen now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.