POCKETEARTH

Request: Pins/Waypoint Proximity Alert and Routing

Home All Topics Feature Requests Request: Pins/Waypoint Proximity Alert and Routing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ragnakore
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 38

I’d like to request a feature called Waypoint Navigation that I have with Garmin Nuvi Handhelds.

Basically, this feature allows me to group a series of Waypoints in sequence.
    Secondly, I can specify to traverse this sequence in Forward or Reverse Order.
    Thirdly, when it starts to traverse this route, it will pick the first/nearest waypoint, and graphically direct the user to the general direction of the waypoint with corresponding distance. (ie, 280* west, 275 meters)
    Fourthly, once a waypoint is reached (or near within specified distance per waypoint), it will select the next waypoint.

I find this useful in Off Road locations either in vast wasteland/desert, sea, or field where there are no roads to follow. But if we can string a series of waypoints together, we can create a track/route to follow.

Along this, it will require us to have Waypoint/Pin proximity alert. ie, once we get near a Waypoint/Pin (within a specified distance), it will audibly alert the user. This feature is useful again for offroad use wherein we want to avoid certain locations (such as unstable ground or shallow water, or sunken debris) or to remind us of POI such as a proximity to a Gas Station, supply stores. Maybe this can even be a “Push Data” wherein PocketEarth will users of Sales Events from Shopping Centers…

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

PocketEarth already offers basic Waypoint Navigation including distance/azimuth from current location. This is part of our GPS Track Recording feature, please refer to this section of our Help Manual for more information and let me know if you have further questions about the functionality.

With our new update v1.4, you can now import GPX files with waypoints in them!

That said, PocketEarth doesn’t yet automatically select the waypoints, you must manually select/switch between them.  We would like to add this enhancement in the near future.  Proximity Alert seems like a useful function as well. Thanks for the suggestions!
    ragnakore

Today, I started my first PocketEarth “Save Route” session and find some difficulty in using it.

While recording, I was driving. As I wanted to see the roads ahead, I tried to pan the screen. Satisfied, I tried to center the map to current location. At first I tried to simply double tap/click on the GPS button (top left icon).. but this action disables GPS tracking loosing some of the tracks.

Of course I can always manually pan the screen until it is centered. But doing so while driving in a busy urban environment with pedestrians randomly crossing the streets is dangerous.

There should be a separate button to tap/click to “Geolocate” the map aka to center map to current location. Such button should be big as well for easy visibility. Or perhaps multi-gesture, like double tap on the center of the screen to center the map to current location. etc.

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Press the button to recenter the map on your current location.

ragnakore

Tried it again, and yes I did see that button.

Unfortunately, that button is too small too obscure. I had more difficulty pressing that button than to just press 2x the GPS button to re-center.

There should be a permanent single button for re-centering the screen. Add also audible outputs to inform the user of events. ie I wont be looking at the screen most of the time when driving or walking and some audible signals like a “BEEP” or “PING” would be great.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.