POCKETEARTH

Two gpx questions

Home All Topics General Two gpx questions

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jaapm
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

When I import a gpx route, I cannot start it to use it for navigation. When I manually create a route within the app I get a play button and voice commands. Is there a way to navigate according to an importen gpx file?
    Second questions: When I import this gpx route and I just start cycling following the line AND also recording; my route is added to the imported route; though I want to an own route file for it. Anyone any idea how to AND follow a route AND recording one?

jsgblom
    • Topics: 88
    • Replies: 250
    1. You cannot navigate an imported GPX-file. In my opinion this is not a real problem since the map and position arrow are very clearly visible, also in the sunlight. Anticipating on a next turn just by looking in the map works very well.
    2. When you select an existing track and switch off Hidden (Verberg op de kaart) the track will stay visible when not selected. This way you can create a new track while following the existing one. (When you go to Settings » GPS & Compass you can switch off Track Auto Hidden and Route Auto Hidden. This will leave any imported or created track or route visible by default.)
    jaapm
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hallo Johan, bedankt! 1. That’s right, but then I miss the text- and audio navigation. I do not understand, why the usual navigation is not available there. 2. That sounds like a good idea. I will test this.

BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 299

Dear jaapm,

The difference between Tracks and Routes for navigation has been discussed a few times here, but I don’t know how to find the threads!

1. Basically, a Track is a file that draws a line over the map. The line drawing instructions contain only one type of information: Latitude/Longitude points/places. So when Pocket Earth reads a Track file, it draws a line from place 1 to Place 2 to Place 3, etc.

2. A Route file is much more complicated. I don’t know what-all a Route includes, but basically, it says “Start at the intersection of Something Road and Something Road, go along Something Road until you come to Another Road; turn left on Another Road and continue to Highway 123; take the entrance to High 123 south…” and on and on.

The instructions for a Route allow a mapping engine to give directions. The instructions for displaying a Track have none of that information; the navigating information doesn’t exist in a Track file.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.