POCKETEARTH

Unable to select area for offline cache

Home All Topics Bugs Unable to select area for offline cache

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    AmateurCartographer
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 6

I am planning a trip Yukon, Canada, and I am using Pocket Earth to cache maps for the area.  However, there is one part of the Territory that I seem to be unable to select to download for offline use.  The area is approximately bound by the following coordinates:

66.5, -140.5 (NW corner)
    66.5, -135.13 (NE corner)
    64.19, -135.13 (SE corner)
    64.19, -140.5 (SW corner)
    By selecting Alaska, Yukon, and Northwest Territories, I can download all of the surrounding area, however, none of them cover this area.  The only way I can select this area is to zoom out and select all of Canada for download, though the 1500 MB download required for that seems excessive.
    I know there are workarounds for this problem, by saving a route that traverses this area, or by panning over it while I have a data connection, but it would be nice if I could cache this area with the rest of the States and Territories I have selected.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.  I really love app.  It is by far, the best offline map solution out there.
    AmateurCartographer
    Participant

Now that I noticed the issue, I am finding that it does not seem to be limited to this one area.  There are areas in the northern regions of British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec that are similar.  When selecting them for downloading, the highlighted area does not cover the entire province.  Is it possible to modify these download areas to extend them to the borders of the provinces?

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Thanks for reporting this!  We are aware of this issue with Regional Map Coverage and hope to solve it in a coming app update.  Basically we don’t have an extremely accurate way to connect Regions with their actual administrative boundaries and our process tends to create gaps in sparsely populated areas.  The most reliable option for now is to download the entire country.

I can look into a short term work-around by patching these regions in Canada manually since they are probably some of the worse cases (big regions with sparsely populated northern parts).
    AmateurCartographer
    Participant

I think you’re right, and I will have to download the entire country before I leave for my trip to be sure that I cache all the maps I need, it just seems a bit inefficent.  Though anything you could do to patch the regions would be fantastic!

Thanks for all your hard work!  It shows and we really appreciate it!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.