POCKETEARTH

Ver 1.5 Bugs

Home All Topics Bugs Ver 1.5 Bugs

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ozgeo
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 52

Great update. A few things I’ve noticed so far that need attention.
    1. If you create a few groups, you can’t select the last one. As a work around I just created a group called ‘zzz’.
    2. I tried moving an existing user pin and PE locked up. Tried it several times. Always happens.
    3. Sometimes when selecting a group and then editing the pin/waypoint the app crashed.

Ozgeo

4. Export to Evernote and Dropbox does not work for me. Just returns to the map view, nothing done. Emailing to Evernote did work.
    5. If you are imputing a note to an existing POI and you press Map before Done, PE crashes.
    6. If you try creating a route ‘From Here’ from within a Pin, PE freezes. Still able to exit so phone not frozen.

Ozgeo

I have been using PE 1.5 extensively and aside from the afore mentioned bugs, I love using Groups and how you have implemented them. Top stuff.

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Thanks for reporting these issues! We are investigating and will release a hot-fix update as soon as possible. We have already figured out 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6. We haven’t been able to reproduce 3 yet.

Do you have any more information about when 3 occurs? (e.g. are you selecting a group from the Pin Detail Screen? What kind of editing, renaming or otherwise? When does it crash exactly, when exiting the detail screen back to map?)

Thanks again!

Marcello
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

I decided to re-download all offline maps with version 1.5. In fact I deleted the app completely (taking the maps with it to the virtual wastebag). Then, I started to download maps again, and it take hours and hours….I also noticed differences between my IPad3 (faster) and iphone 5 (much slower).

Possibly connected with this issue, I noticed Wifi drops with my iphone during downloading. Strange, since it only happenen with the pocket earth app open. Not with other apps.

Hope these issues can be resolved.

Thanks for the good work!

Marcello.

Ozgeo

Re 3. Must admit this only seemed to happen at the very beginning and does not happen now. Maybe memory was low and was solved after re-booting (which I did to see if that solved other issues).
    Great to hear about the hot fix.

I have a suggestion for elaborating on the way Groups are used and maybe it would not be too hard to code. After turning off all user pins, allow turning on just selected groups. Think of how useful this would be.

Cheers Anton.

nounours
    • Topics: 66
    • Replies: 260

A great app, and all in all a good update. Really worth to contribute in improving it. So please take these bugreports / complaints positively!

7. Does not replace wikitravel by wikivoyage data. The user needs to erase all Wikitravel data first, and then reload Wikivoyage.
    If this is intendend to allow user to keek Wikitravel-Infos if he likes, then the user should at least be informed with a warning “You’re Travelinfo is outdated, if you want to actualize…”

8. Custom marker:
    If you create a custom marker, you cannot name or edit it. You have to “star” it first …

As well, you can not delete it. You have first to “unstar” it. Maybe these are “features”, not bugs, but it looks less intuitive than it was before.

9. Clicking on a Wikipedia-Symbol does not allow anmore to view the article. If double-clicked, the node info shows, the text starts, and from there one can open the entire article. Maybe there is a reason for this change, before 1.5 it looked much smoother to me.

thanks, noun ours

Ozgeo

10. Today I tried recording a new track. At the end when I pressed stop, PE froze. The good new is that after restarting, the new track was saved.

On the positive side. I’m really enjoying using v. 1.5 aside from the bugs. Keep up the good work.

Cheers Anton.

uhagi
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

11. Exported .GPX does not work with some apps like Garmin Basecamp or Aperture on MAC.
    Looking into the GPX there are no newlines. Maybe that is the problem.
    I found another GPS app on iPhone to convert but that is a bit complicated…

john_s
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

Re 1. This is a problem for ANY list of Favorites (pins, groups etc) You can’t select the last item in the list.

Otherwise an excellent app, great when travelling

Regards

John

GeoMagik
    Admin

Re 11. If you email us your GPX file to info @ geomagik.com we will add newlines to it and email it back to you to check if this is the issue.

Update: We successfully imported a PocketEarth GPX file into Garmin Basecamp. So the lack of newlines isn’t the problem. If you send us the GPX file we will look into this issue further.

Ozgeo

Abe, can you give us an idea when you will be providing a new ver. with fixes for the crashing bugs?

GeoMagik
    Admin

@Ozgeo:  Sorry for the delay, we are hoping to submit the update to Apple tomorrow. They usually take 1 week to approve.

In addition to the bug and crash fixes, this version v1.6 will include a few other minor enhancements:
    • New group details screen with ability to export the group to GPX and ‘PocketEarth Archive’ formats.
    • Export individual routes and tracks to ‘PocketEarth Archive’ format.
    • Long press on a group in your favorites list to view it on the map.
    • Long press on destinations in the Destinations Search screen for additional options/shortcuts.
    • Allow rename of Fav POI.
    • Easier to read GPS info bar.
    • Swipe over main buttons to show bigger GPS info anytime (iPhone only; when GPS is active).
    • Improved compass smoothing and current location indicator arrow positioning. 
    Ozgeo

Great news. I’ll be checking the App Store around this time next week. Thanks for your efforts. Anton.

XOMTOR
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 118

Thanks for the update GeoMagik, looking forward to the new version. Leaving on a trip to Alaska early next week so I hope I can give the new version a workout. I’ve been able to minimize my memory related crashes in v1.5 by simply staying out of the menus and navigating a bit slower allowing time for RAM to be released.

GeoMagik
    Admin

PocketEarth v1.6 update have been approved by Apple and is now available for update!

@XOMTOR:  v1.6 allows the memory used by the Settings screen to be reclaiming in low memory situations. Hopefully this will help a little, but we will need to do more work to completely correct the situation you reported.  Due to the intricacies involved in memory management we couldn’t offer more improvements in this quick update, but wanted to let you know that we are taking your report seriously and will continue to work on it.
    XOMTOR
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 118

Thanks Geo, just downloaded it and hope to give it a try tomorrow. Also, thanks for keeping me updated, you guys are great. I may have the occasional “crash” but Pocket Earth is still hands down the best offline mapping app I’ve tried.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.