POCKETEARTH

Wacky POI icons in Pro 2.7

Home All Topics Bugs Wacky POI icons in Pro 2.7

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 298

This may be a known issue; if so apologies for reiterating!

I just updated to Pro 2.7. About 95% of the POIs have a purple News Rack icon. When touched/highlighted, some of them acquire the correct icon, some do not. Seems that perhaps certain Categories switch when touched, others do not. All of them switch back to News Rack when un-highlighted.

I’m using maps downloaded a while ago, not new ones.

Bucky Edgett

iPad 2, iOS 7.3; PE Pro 2.7

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Hmm, sounds like an issue we had at one moment in beta development, but it shouldn’t be in the live app. Can you tell me the Manifest Version by going into the About Screen and swiping down along the right edge of the screen using 2 fingers?

BuckyE

Sure!

MV: 459

As always, this might be due to my ancient iPad and iOS.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    BuckyE

Addendum:

At first, I wondered if the problem was caused by bad Map Data updating. As before, I have been trying to update my maps, but it’s not working. (Another story, ignore that for now.)

However, the News Rack Takeover Problem appears in all my maps. Maps that I definitely have had, undisturbed, in PE Pro for months.

Bucky

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Ahh, yeah 459 is really old data from last September. We fixed some bad bugs in our data handling in 2.7 which requires updated data. We tried to avoid this News problem (and other little quirks) by rolling out compatible datasets several months ago, but September 459 is too old. Sorry about that, was best we could do without having to maintain a huge chunk of old code just to be compatible with the old data. Once you update to latest maps data, the problem will go away..

You mention data update problems, maybe make a backup of your data (Export Pocket Earth Archive file) first before updating the maps just in case.

BuckyE

@GeoMagik

OK, took me a while to remember the Two-Step Map Deleting Procedure, but I finally managed to replace Maine with a new download. Didn’t help. Most POIs are still News Racks.

I also notice that I have Updated Content available. Perhaps I need to update the Map Styles or Other Resources? (Whatever they may be!)

There’s no way I can do a 7 gigabyte download all at one go. Is it possible to do the Styles and/or Resources separately?

Thanks!

BuckyE

Dear Friends,

Decided I just had to take the chance, and let PE update everything. Began at 2:00 a.m., during my “Bonus Bytes” night-time data cap. Used most of the month’s BB data allowance, but all is now well. Seems to me something in the non-map data had to be updated.

News Racks are now banished back to their proper places.

The map data downloaded much faster than it has in the past, which allowed me to accomplish the update during one 2:00-8:00 BB time. That was never possible before!

Still would be useful to be able to update the various non-map stuff separately. But perhaps I’m the last guy in the civilized world who has such draconian data caps?

Thanks for your help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.