POCKETEARTH

What happened to walking routes?

Home All Topics General What happened to walking routes?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    grekstad
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

I had input several walking routes before the update. They still seem to be present. However, when I try to designate a new route, the app only shows driving routes.

My purpose in getting Pocket Earth was to preload walking routes in several European cities. Driving routes are virtually useless in, say, Rome. If I want to walk from my hotel to the Forum, the app’s route winds its way all over Rome because of the one-way streets. 
    Are walking routes still an option? If so, I can’t figure out how to create them.
    As an aside, it took me awhile to figure out how to use the previous version of the app, Now the user interface is totally new and I’m confused all over again. The Help section still seems to pertain to the previous version, which is now no help at all.
    GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Walking option is still present in the app!  On the New Route screen there is an option for Transport mode and tapping it allows you to change it. For existing routes, just open their Info screen from the favorites list or by tapping the Info Panel at the top of the screen. You will see the same option to change the transport mode.  I have attached 2 screenshots just to be clear!

We did update our Help Manual in the app to the new version!  If you see something in particular that seems out of date, let us know and we will correct it!  The help manual on our website is still out of date and will be updated in the next few days. Sorry about the delay.
    I understand what you mean, we did change a lot in this version!  We try to not do that often, but we felt like the old version was extremely difficult to use and hundreds of our users told us the same.  Based on lots of user feedback we tried to simplify things and make it easier to use in this update. Though of course for our existing users who are familiar with the old way this can be a pain to have to re-learn it, but hopefully its not too bad!  If you have any other specific questions, we are happy to help!
    grekstad
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response. I’ve gone through the new Help manual and have pretty much figured out the new system. However, I still can’t create a walking route by tapping on a favorite pin or a spot on the map.

Here are two ways I’ve tried to create a walking route between, say, my Rome hotel and the Roman Forum.

1. Tap main Sidebar button, tap New Route, delete current location under Add Destination, tap + Add Destination, tap my hotel under Favorite Pins, tap + Add Destination, tap Roman Forum under Favorite Pins, then save by tapping the favorite “star.” No problem. The route is saved.

2. I go through the same progression, except that I tap a Favorite pin on the map, tap the main Sidebar button, tap New Route, delete current location under Add Destination, and tap + Add Destination and try to tap another pin on the map. No matter what I try to do next,  I get an error message “Cannot complete action! Please close the current route first, then try again.”  I’ve also tapped the main Sidebar button first and then tapped New Route before tapping on pins, but I get same error message. What am I doing wrong?
    I’m trying to set up walking routes in advance of my trip to Paris and several Italian cities so that they’ll be saved as Favorites when I get to my destinations. It took me forever (or it seems that way) to figure out the first scenario. The second scenario–using pins–totally eludes me.
    Other than that, the new version is definitely superior to the older app.
    GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Thanks for the feedback!  We are still trying to work out some kinks in the new routing system and should have an update on a couple weeks.

Its true the Route > Add Destination feature is missing a “Select Item on Map” option which it should have.   Currently you would have to select the item on the map, then tap its info panel to get the info screen, then tap the Route button to add it to the current route.
    About that error message, it means there is already a route open on the map (shown in the info panel). Rather than going to the menu and New Route option, you have to tap on the current routes info panel to get to its info screen.  Alternately you can close the route, and use New Route option again if thats what you wanted to do.
    grekstad
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation. I’m glad I haven’t totally lost my mind!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.