POCKETEARTH

Why city map is downloading when country map has been downloaded?

Home All Topics General Why city map is downloading when country map has been downloaded?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Trip
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 2

I thought the Country map includes all maps. When I view each city, it still requires me to download map.
    So, is it necessary to download map of Petaluma even if I have downloaded California map, to be used offline? If I have only downloaded California map, I can still see Petaluma map when offline?

BuckyE
    • Topics: 63
    • Replies: 298

I’ve been looking at and Editing some PINs since I upgraded to v 1.6. I have England downloaded for offline use. (In the My Destinations List, all Maps have a green star and say “Saved for offline use.”) When I zoomed in on London to edit my PINs, PE downloaded maps: the little window with the green status bar opened and showed a download.

Is this to do with having upgarded PE? Do I need to re-download the Map Datas? Thanks!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

@Trip: If you have downloaded a country or region it includes all map data within it including all cities.  If you select a city in a downloaded area however, it may save “Not Saved” this is actually referring to the fact that it is not saved to your favorites list, and is not speaking about the maps. This could be a point of confusion which we will correct in our next update.

@BuckyE:  That doesn’t sound good. App updates should not affect map data. In-app data updates affect the data in that it deletes *all* data and then downloads the latest updated data. All green star places should turn to yellow stars and maps should re-download.  What you described should not happen so it sounds like there might be some obscure bug causing it to not behavior properly in some cause, though we have never seen it.  We have had one other report of this and are looking into it.

BuckyE

I’ve since zoomed in on other places without the “problem download” occuring. So it’s a mystery to me! Perhaps I had zoomed over part of an area not saved, and PE+my ISP were a bit slow in responding?

BuckyE

This continues to happen to me, albeit not as often. I just updated all my maps (it would be really nice to do that individually, which I can’t seem to do) and have been working on adding pins for Italy. I have Italy as a country, saved as a Destination.

This morning, I zoomed in on a particular highway intersection in Italy, and the Downloading Maps palette flashed for a second or two, behaving as if were downloading: the status bar filled from left to right. Odd.

Perhaps it’s not actually downloading? Updating?

BuckyE

Happened again while viewing Maryland, USA. Which is green starred as a Saved Destination. Makes me wonder what I might be missing!

GeoMagik
    Admin
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 799

Hmm, okay, thanks for reporting this again, sounds like it could be a serious issue.   The only semi-legitimate reason it might be doing this now is if you zoom in to view a map area you haven’t viewed before and the previously downloaded data for it is determined to be corrupt. In this case, Pocket Earth will delete it and re-downloads it. It should be extremely rare that this happens, and if it does it should be only a small download like 0.4 MB.

BuckyE

These “downloads” are very small, yes. They take only one to three seconds. They do seem to occur when I am zooming in, but I am zooming in on areas that are part of Destinations that are green-star-saved. I’ll try to keeo an eye on it to determine more exactly when it is happening. Thanks for your prompt response!

BuckyE

This continues to happen to me. Just now I opened PE, opened my Favorites Palette, clicked on France (which is green-star Saved), zoomed in with an open-pinch, and got a Downloading Maps notice.

I then tested: used swipes to move the map around at that zoom level. The first swipe resulted in DM message. Another swipe to an adjacent are gave a DM Message. A third swipe did NOT give a DM Message! So I’m mystified.

However, I record this experience here for information that might be relevant to a future discussion. On the other hand, if I turn out to be the only user to whom this is happening on any kind of regular basis, we could possibly chalk it up to “corrupted” or incomplete downloads through my notoriously bad ISP Hughesnet.

Hope all is going well with debugging PE in iOS 7.

BuckyE

I record this experience here for information that might be relevant to a future discussion. On the other hand, if I turn out to be the only user to whom this is happening on any kind of regular basis, we could possibly chalk it up to “corrupted” or incomplete downloads through my notoriously bad ISP Hughesnet.

Today while adding Pins to France, I was using the Nearby Search function. Several times I got an Error Message stating “Some searchable content has not been downloaded…” So something is buggy with my copy or Saving Destinations on my iPad 2 or something!

Hope all is well with finishing up v7!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Geomagik LLC

Contact Us

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we'd love to hear them!
Please fill out the form below or post to our Forum.

PocketEarth © 2012 GeoMagik LLC. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.